Suggestion for my Server Configuration

CivilWarTalk

I'm currently running vB 4.03 Suite (with CMS & Blogs disabled) on a Servint Essential VPS (768mb Guaranteed RAM) running with XCache. I also run a single copy of Wordpress on this server.

Next week I'm hoping to complete an upgrade to xF 1.1.1, so I'm trying to figure our what server configuration to set for xF.

I read the manual, and that has suggested settings for APC and memcache.

http://xenforo.com/help/cache/

I also saw a post where Kier suggested (and I hope I understood him correctly) to install APC or memcache for shared memory caching, but only configure memcache in the config.php file.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tip-use-apc.6456/page-4#post-237629

I also read that someone came up with a configuration that works for XCache, but no-one has confirmed if it works...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xcache-for-xenforo.23036/

So I guess my question is, with all these choices, what will work best for my site? Do I stick to XCache and try to make it work, or contact my techs and replace XCache with APC, or Memcache?

I'm not a server tech, but I'm leaning towards switching my server to Memcache, but I don't know if that's the right move to make. Any suggestions?

I am running memcached and APC. Nothing in my config file for APC, I just let Xenforo use what it needs to. I control memcache with the config file for the shared stuff. Has been working flawless since I discovered/confirmed the error in the documentation (which has been fixed).

It looks like with the APC/memcached setup, you will also find more support on the site to make sure everything is working properly.

Russ

Am I missing a trick here, I'm running APC and I'm referencing that in the config but can I also be making use of memcache? I thought it was either or tbh.

The more code/data you can cache, the faster the site will be. The big question is, do you have the resources to run multiple caches from the memory?

Well, I'm satisfied, I have reconfigured my server with APC and Memcache, and I'm all ready for the weekend conversion. Thanks for the input!

So riddle me this fellas..

I'm running a LEMP setup.

I already have apc installed and have apc in my xf config.

I need to
Install memcached
Update config to use memcached
Profit?

So riddle me this fellas..

I'm running a LEMP setup.

I already have apc installed and have apc in my xf config.

I need to
Install memcached
Update config to use memcached
Profit?
And make sure you remove the APC stuff from your config file. Xenforo will use APC for all the opcode stuff without needing to add anything to the config file.

Russ

Well tried that, I think I maybe have to do some tinkering to get it to work with nginx, every time I enabled it in the config I got an unexpected error on my forum.

What kind of error do you get with NginX? I use it pretty fine before on my previous xenForo forum.
It was literally an unexpected error however after doing some more reading I'm more than happy to leave my set up as is. Running a Linode in LEMP configuration; mysql + php5-fpm & Nginx with APC and it seems fast enough :p

Top Bottom