Lack of interest [Suggestion] Editing Private Conversation Posts until Read

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

The Sandman

Rather than a pre-set time limit for editing PC posts, why not have the edit button appear until the post is read by the recipient (or any recipient if there is more than one recipient)? Until the post is read it really doesn't matter if it's edited or when it was edited, and after it's read there is no reason to edit it.

Besides, this would be a slick way to indicate whether the PC post has been read or not. :)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There's a pre-set time limit?

I'm pretty sure there is - that's what I've noticed in my PC's anyhow. Sometimes I reread PC posts a while after I've sent them, and if I see a typo or something I try to change it. Of course I don't have access to check the settings, but I suppose we could test it - send a PC and then watch it to see how long the edit button is available.

You can edit pc's?

For a little while. Or am I going crazy?
coco.gif

You can edit pc's?
LOL :D

I've edited a couple just after sending but I think The Sandman is correct, that capability disappears after some time.

I sent one this evening at 1920 and edited it shortly after but the edit link has disappeared and it hasn't been read as the recipient hasn't been online since yesterday.

Yeah - I guess the thinking is you get a few minutes to correct any typos, then the edit capability goes away. But really, until the recipient reads it what difference does it make when you edit it?

Besides, this would be a slick way to indicate whether the PC post has been read or not. :)
That would be the exact reason not to do it IMO. You don't want that info leaking without an option. I absolutely hate read receipt requests - partially it's the concept, and partially it's the annoying popup they create.

That would be the exact reason not to do it IMO. You don't want that info leaking without an option. I absolutely hate read receipt requests - partially it's the concept, and partially it's the annoying popup they create.

In this case though, there would be no read receipt requests - the edit button would simply disappear once the PC post was read. The only issue I see is that the recipient can't hide the fact that they've read it. I really don't see the point in making the sender wonder if the message has been received.

I don't think that's what The Sandman is asking for.

He's just suggesting that the ability to edit a PC should remain until it has been read, by which time there is no point in editing it.

I must admit it would be nice to know if my messages have been read.

Yeah I understand that - and that's what I take issue with. It's effectively an un-opt-out-able (!) read receipt, at least in a 1:1 conversation. If a user sets themselves as invisible for example, this leaks information. (It also leaks specific information for visible users too.)

Top Bottom