Lack of interest [Suggestion]: Change 'Location' to 'Checked in to'

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

TNCclubman

Location is very powerful here on xenforo and right now, people usually set it to your city and never touch it again for the lifetime you're registered on the site.

What if we used it like 'FourSquare', the next big thing online. And instead used it to announce to people where we are currently. We Change 'Location' to 'Checked in to' and when you pop in an address, it links to the map on google. Now heres where my idea gets interesting. What if when someone does that, it gets posted to the 'Everyone Feeds' page with a tiny little thumbnail of the map, linking to the larger map page (as it does currently with the text 'Location'.

Example: TNCClubman checked into 250 adelaide st w. Toronto, On
(with a little thumbnail of the map under the feed posting)

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
For foil hat wearers, its definitely a dont like it, dont use it feature. But just so you know, I have hundreds of 'friends' online that update their social network with "am taking a dump" "am in line at walmart" "Am stuck in traffic" "checked in to 7 eleven on Bronte St" etc etc... This is a new era we live in and people have a hardon for revealing too much info about themselves. Ignoring it is making you a dinosaur. I want my site to be cutting edge, not an acid-wash forum only site.

Not only is it a don't like, I'd rip the code out of the core files. And just because your friends don't care who knows where they're at 24/7, doesn't mean everyone is like that. What you're suggesting is far too invasive as far as privacy is concerned. I don't know many admins who would willingly add it to their sites.

For foil hat wearers, its definitely a dont like it, dont use it feature. But just so you know, I have hundreds of 'friends' online that update their social network with "am taking a dump" "am in line at walmart" "Am stuck in traffic" "checked in to 7 eleven on Bronte St" etc etc... This is a new era we live in and people have a hardon for revealing too much info about themselves. Ignoring it is making you a dinosaur. I want my site to be cutting edge, not an acid-wash forum only site.

Is this not exactly what the "status" feature is for?

Not only is it a don't like, I'd rip the code out of the core files. And just because your friends don't care who knows where they're at 24/7, doesn't mean everyone is like that. What you're suggesting is far too invasive as far as privacy is concerned. I don't know many admins who would willingly add it to their sites.

Its already in xenforo. if you type an address instead of a city name it pins your exact location on the map. Its a simple template edit then I can do myself. As for the thumbnail of the map to be posted on the feed along with the description, I guess I'll go without.

I dont understand why people are freaking out, just continue to use it as you've always done for 1o years. Just enter the city name if you dont want it to pinpoint exactly where you are. It does that very well.

My idea: when a user click in the link of a city, it see a list of users of this city. It's a nice social feature, or not? :D

My idea: when a user click in the link of a city, it see a list of users of this city. It's a nice social feature, or not? :D
Sounds like a fantastic addon/mod to me, I would use it, even pay $ for it. :)

Not in the stock code though, at least not v1

Looks like Facebook just announced this exact feature today.
http://www.thestar.com/news/science...-based-services?bn=1

Come on people, think progressively, this is going to be huge in the next coming months/years.
Sorry, I don't think that's progressive at all, it's really just a way for people to announce themselves where they are and there's a lot of problems that can arise from that. Facebook has been in the spotlight for a lot of privacy issues over the year so using it as a bases for a suggestion isn't the best way to go sometimes.

I still don't think this should be added to the core.

I can't speak for anyone else's forum, but I tend to have a bunch of wannabe hackers who try to social engineer to show how tough they are on the internet. 

Your original idea for this thread was to change the text from 'from' to 'check into', which you can do on your own forum. Your link goes to a facebook 'location based services'.

?

once you enter your exact location (because now the default text says 'checked into', not only does it link to your location on a map (which xenforo currently does out of the box) but it also displays a thumbnail of the map on the 'Everyones Feeds', which it currently does just a link to the map.

All Im asking is for it to generate a thumbnail of the map. (I can easily change the text from 'location' to 'checked into' by editing the template. There are no privacy issues at all that dont currently exist with the default xenforo.

Theres actually zero privacy issues. Enter nothing for 'location', or enter a vague location like New York as opposed to an address. phpbb, vBulletin, xenforo all do this NOW.

I know... what could the wording be?

"Where are you right now?"
Heh, this reminded me of the large maps we get here in the UK (not sure if you get them elsewhere) that have a red dot with big letters stating 'YOU ARE HERE'.

I don't mind what it's called but Location seems generic and makes the most sense.

Heh, this reminded me of the large maps we get here in the UK (not sure if you get them elsewhere) that have a red dot with big letters stating 'YOU ARE HERE'.

I don't mind what it's called but Location seems generic and makes the most sense.
Yeah, we need to use the most generalized term that could apply to everyone thus increasing the user participation. It's the his/their wording problem all over again :)

Yeah, we need to use the most generalized term that could apply to everyone thus increasing the user participation. It's the his/their wording problem all over again :)
I think that "where are you now" is different than "where are you from / where do you live". Location refers to the last :)

Top Bottom