Implemented [Suggestion] Animations...

digitalpoint

Some animations are really useful (like the pagination scrolling), but others seem to just be there for eye candy and beyond the initial, "Wow, that's neat...", they don't seem to make things faster/better.

For example, the forum main page with needing to mouseover to get forum descriptions. That one seems to only make things take longer (reading the descriptions) vs. being useful. In my opinion, a better way would be to have the descriptions show for all forums without needing to mouseover, but then with a small description toggle for the page (clicking it would fade out all the descriptions and collapse the page to how it is now, clicking it again would do the reverse). With the user's preference being saved of course.

In the end, it seems something like that would make finding the forum you are looking for (based on description) more efficient/quicker.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I didn't mean the JavaScript execution slows it down, but the animation cycle. If you animate something and it takes 1 second to run through the animation, that's 1 second slower than it needs to be in some cases (when something doesn't *need* the animation).

We need to have an even blend of eye candy and optimization which i must say is accomplished here. The load time is amazing and even with all the features the site is still fast.

Restored Descriptions:

ss1-png.100

Attachments

• ss1.webp
    ss1.webp
    103.1 KB · Views: 72
Restored Descriptions:
<screenshot>

Thank you very much for your screenshot! Looks much better this way. Not only does it look better, it is also better functionality for the enduser, as already explained above. (let xenForo forums be the forums where I will start not to repeat myself endless times ;). Maybe it's not needed indeed, since I've got the impression we are listened to and taken seriously in our constructive suggestions: jay!)

What if you decide to change the template to your liking? :)

I'm likely to do that if theres no change to it, or if there is no option to turn it off globally. However, I think having it as a user-end option would be nicer as it gives users a bit more control over the way the main page appears to them. Some people like description, some people dislike it due to scroll, its all a matter of opinion.

What I meant is: Personally, I find it a lot more convenient to do a template edit, instead of adding extra code to be processed (based on the option an user decides to use). Look at the forum home HTML code to see what I mean.

What I meant is: Personally, I find it a lot more convenient to do a template edit, instead of adding extra code to be processed (based on the option an user decides to use). Look at the forum home HTML code to see what I mean.

Understood about not needing to examine the user option at run time, and that would be quicker (and less stuff for the user to worry about). I don't code (sorry), would the template edit presumably survive software upgrades?

I like the tooltip, but also like the inline description too. I do believe a user option would be good as seasoned members can turn it off. I can't see it being that much overhead really is it?

Understood about not needing to examine the user option at run time, and that would be quicker (and less stuff for the user to worry about). I don't code (sorry), would the template edit presumably survive software upgrades?

I see the logic now, thanks for your patience. :)
Presuming template reverts are needed, your modified template will need to be reverted and your modification gone. With an option (as you mentioned earlier), you will avoid this issue. Regardless, I would still prefer the template edit, hehe. :)

The biggest challenge I had with other forum software is the endless number of options, into Admin control panel. Honestly, I don't remember more then half of them even after years of usage. I certainly do not want to see happening the same with Xen.

Top Bottom