[Suggestion] Admin Option: Login As User

Is the real issue here simply that some Admins cannot trust themselves to resist the temptation to use this feature? I mean what's the big deal? Its in there, ignore it, period. Is that so hard to do? You're already Admins. You can access any user information already. My members asked me years ago if I could access their PMs. I told them straight. My website and server. I can access anything if I really put my mind to it, but I have enough integrity not to do it. They accepted it and moved on.

My point? Don't deprive others of the feature just because you have issues with it. I don't see it biting anyone's behind where its hidden.

EDIT: Hm, I obviously thought this was a feature already built in. Re-reading sections of the thread now, it seems to be a request being suggested. Do re-interpret the post above in that context and throw out the befuddled bit.

{bump}
I sure could use this. I need to bring in posts from drupal 6 into my xf forum.
The only way I can think of doing it by logging in as the user so the posts appear as theirs.
Or maybe bring the drupal posts into vB before importing into xf.

{bump}
The only way I can think of doing it by logging in as the user so the posts appear as theirs.
Hm?

So you want to log in as EACH user and create the posts for them?
And how do you want to deal with the timestamp?:D

Hm?

Yes and I don't really care about the timestamp that much. I suppose I can go into the database and change the date and time. But that is the least of my worries.
I'd copy the posts in the same order that they where created for the sake of continuity.

I have this mod in VB and it's fantastically useful.
All I find I need though is to check what the user sees. I'm not making posts, at most checking navigation and views.

I need this modification for importing albums and blogs entries, comments and likes as there are no current xenforo importers for Photopost Pro, vb4 Blogs and vB4 Albums. I am not going to start my blogs and albums fresh. Whoever delayed development on this modification because of worries about privacy issues needs a reality check. This modification will get developed sooner or later. It's stuff like this that keeps good modifications getting developed which in turn, turns people away from converting over to XenForo.

{bump}
I have two xenforo forums. My first one is new. I didn't need the modification. Then I converted my vbulletin forum over to xenforo, NOW I need it! Due to a bug in Paul M.'s vB4 importer, blogs didnt make it over so now I gotta manually do it. I'm pretty upset about this. Some members are pming me like little cry babies, 'Where's my blogs, where's my albums?' :( Boo hoo shut up. I hate complaining. This is too much work forreal. If xenforo wasn't faster than vbulletin I would've regretted converting over.
Hm?

I'm going to use this online conversion tool to change the timestamps.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

I would rather have a IMPORT SCRIPT to do all this for me instead of having to LOGIN as USER but I can't afford to be hiring coders and programmers everytime I get stuck I'm kinda broke.

I have two xenforo forums. My first one is new. I didn't need the modification. Then I converted my vbulletin forum over to xenforo, NOW I need it! Due to a bug in Paul M.'s vB4 importer, blogs didnt make it over so now I gotta manually do it. I'm pretty upset about this. Some members are pming me like little cry babies, 'Where's my blogs, where's my albums?' :( Boo hoo shut up. I hate complaining. This is too much work forreal. If xenforo wasn't faster than vbulletin I would've regretted converting over.
I'm going to use this online conversion tool to change the timestamps.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

I would rather have a IMPORT SCRIPT to do all this for me instead of having to LOGIN as USER but I can't afford to be hiring coders and programmers everytime I get stuck I'm kinda broke.
To copy posts from my current drupal forum in preparation to XF, I've been coping posts to vB and copying and pasting the UNIX timestamp along with them. It's cumbersome but does the trick.
Fortunately I don't have that many posts each day.

To copy posts from my current drupal forum in preparation to XF, I've been coping posts to vB and copying and pasting the UNIX timestamp along with them. It's cumbersome but does the trick.
Fortunately I don't have that many posts each day.
Man that sucks. I haven't even started on albums and blogs yet. This is way too much work.

I'd like to see this as an add-on. We have two groups of Community Leaders, moderators and administrators. We currently use vB and use this add-on, allowing only Admins the ability to log in as the user. We only use it to investigate harassment via PM or when someone says there's a problem with their account that we can't duplicate with a test user/usergroup.

I'd like to see this as an add-on. We have two groups of Community Leaders, moderators and administrators. We currently use vB and use this add-on, allowing only Admins the ability to log in as the user. We only use it to investigate harassment via PM or when someone says there's a problem with their account that we can't duplicate with a test user/usergroup.
You know it's sad no one cared about this modification because the only reasons previously posted in this thread were because of design and permission issues. Apparently that isn't enough. Well what about the lack of importers? That reason alone is way more important than design and permission issues. I'm shocked that all these smart and gifted people on here didn't think of that. I certainly didn't until I ran into this issue.

This is a feature I am renewing a request for. Many other forum software have this as a default feature, and some offer FREE official add-on support for it. I have users who have issues within their own personal settings and such who aren't very forum savvy. And the nature of the beast with having privacy behind the scenes results in a few of them dealing with inappropriate "conversations". It's a diagnostic tool and an investigative tool.

Yes, there are paid add-ons, but for security purposes (investigative tool) you don't want behind the scenes 'conversations' taking bad turns. I've already had some users claiming abuse and without a way to moderate, it's all hear-say.

Top Bottom