[Suggestion] Admin Option: Login As User

The design/layout of the site has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. Users who don't know how to use a forum simply don't know how to use a forum. If it gets to the point where linking to the help documentation, providing further detailed instructions, or guiding the user step-by-step all don't work, then I'm afraid the only other option is to do it for the user. Using the "log in as user" feature seems to be the only simple solution.

I just so happen to have a community in which the majority of the members aren't exactly technically-inclined. And vBulletin with all of its various options/settings can indeed be overwhelming and confusing to elder novice computer users.

I don't see this forum being as confusing (Except for a few things, where functionality isn't really shown well; style switcher and google map link in popup profile), as its pretty straight forward.

I was amazed at the profile settings, and how simple they are. Even with having used vBulletin for as long as I have, I sometimes have problems finding/remembering where things are.

I don't see this forum being as confusing (Except for a few things, where functionality isn't really shown well; style switcher and google map link in popup profile), as its pretty straight forward.

I was amazed at the profile settings, and how simple they are. Even with having used vBulletin for as long as I have, I sometimes have problems finding/remembering where things are.

Yes, this forum is totally different; it's much simpler, and I don't foresee as many people encountering as much confusion.

IMO, the demand for this feature simply isn't enough to warrant built-in functionality. It's best suited as a modification. This is one of those things that most people don't need, and its addition into the core package is bloat for most.

Yes, this forum is totally different; it's much simpler, and I don't foresee as many people encountering as much confusion.

IMO, the demand for this feature simply isn't enough to warrant built-in functionality. It's best suited as a modification. This is one of those things that most people don't need, and its addition into the core package is bloat for most.

I would rather they made a preview system, where you can choose a usergroup and temporarily use that to browse the forum, looking for anything that would need a change (Permissions or styling).

As for helping users... Hopefully the settings can be changed directly from the admin panel.

I'll just chime in here and say this should not be a default feature. The default feature set should not help admins blatantly invade users' privacy. Yes, I know you can view anything from the database, that's not the point.

I'll just chime in here and say this should not be a default feature. The default feature set should not help admins blatantly invade users' privacy. Yes, I know you can view anything from the database, that's not the point.

I'll go with this.

Floris, you don't imagine how many times I have to either open a incognito window or a new browser to log in as a test user on a specifig usergroup to check permisions or template changes when I do modifications on my site

Edit: totally understood wrong the first post so my comment is nonsense... At most I would like to have a see forum with xxx user permissions, I was explaining on my post that I'd like a feature to see the forum as if I belonged to a specific usergroup but never to login as a specific user, as this would imply privacy issues, that is why also I always refused to install mods that would allow me to for instance check user PMs or something else, even if my mods from time to time request it.

I have multiple browsers, I have a test user. I just login as the test user and try it via that. This way I can also flip usergroups and try banning etc, without confusing an actual user.

Again maybe I'll start another suggestion thread up but "Test Users Permissions" would be handy dandy! You wouldn't actually sign into their account but rather obtain the same permissions with a "Revert back to admin" button.

Again maybe I'll start another suggestion thread up but "Test Users Permissions" would be handy dandy! You wouldn't actually sign into their account but rather obtain the same permissions with a "Revert back to admin" button.

I think a system that would temporarily change the admin account (Thats being used) to whatever usergroup for testing would be a great feature, and simple to use and possibly implement.

I think a system that would temporarily change the admin account (Thats being used) to whatever usergroup for testing would be a great feature, and simple to use and possibly implement.

I know Gallery2 had a function like this. You could basically view the site as a member of any usergroup, and change back to "admin mode" any time you wanted.

Someone should make a post about this I think; I'd do it, but I'm going to be fried as soon as I get home.

Spending majority of the day cleaning up intern messes takes everything out of me -.-.

^
This. I do see it as a useful mod though. I've had to use it quite a few times to help Members (I STRONGLY dislike the term users) sort out problems without having to reset their passwords.

In my opinion this would be a breach of users privacy. If you want to test things for a particular user that experiences problems with something, then you can ask that user to change his password to a temporarily one and give it to you so you can log in as that user to check things out. But logging to a user account without his or her knowing about it is like impersonating someone on top of breaching their privacy as well.

I don't like the idea of being able to login as a certain user, but I do like being able to test out their permissions. I used to use that in phpBB all the time while designing and working on sites. It's much easier than opening a new incognito window and logging in as a test user and then testing your permissions. This way all you have to do when your done testing, is click a link that the bottom or something that reverts your privileges back to normal. It also saves from having test members on your site.

In my opinion this would be a breach of users privacy. If you want to test things for a particular user that experiences problems with something, then you can ask that user to change his password to a temporarily one and give it to you so you can log in as that user to check things out. But logging to a user account without his or her knowing about it is like impersonating someone on top of breaching their privacy as well.

What's the difference between: "Hey, I need you to change your password to abc123 so I can log into your account and fix the problem for you" and ... "Hey, I'll fix the issue for you. I just need to log into your account and I'd like to make sure that's okay with you first."

Both accomplish the same thing: You obtain the user's permission. The second alternative is more efficient in that there is no need for the user to change their password twice.

For security reasons, I would like a similar feature implemented by default.

My reason for wanting this feature...
we run a fairly large site with a handful of staff ... the staff are not techies like you and me ... they take care of all the support issues, etc ... they are people-oriented and really take their time in communicating with people ... on many occasions, they will even call people when requested

the LOGIN AS USER could help them because they can see the same thing as the end-user - it can help the staff in providing better support - the staff can go in and provide screenshots, instructions; they can change a user's settings quickly, etc

The bottom line is that Logging In As User vs. viewing options in admincp/modp is a lot easier and more effective for non-techies / staff.

What's the difference between: "Hey, I need you to change your password to abc123 so I can log into your account and fix the problem for you" and ... "Hey, I'll fix the issue for you. I just need to log into your account and I'd like to make sure that's okay with you first."

Both accomplish the same thing: You obtain the user's permission. The second alternative is more efficient in that there is no need for the user to change their password twice.

Remind me not to register at your forum then. I wouldn''t like it if the admin logged in my account without asking me first.

As to what is the difference, I wouldn''t go into it as it is pretty obvious.

Remind me not to register at your forum then. I wouldn''t like it if the admin logged in my account without asking me first.

Sorry, I'm not seeing where you're getting the "without asking you first" bit. But that's neither here nor there, so it doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom