Lack of interest [Suggestion] Add Titles to Internal/External Links

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
+1 @ Sushubh Mittal

BTW I think XF should have a feature-rich SEO section in the Admin cp. vB has vBSEO, if XF could take over the most important features of vBSEO, that would be a very important selling point to a lot of potential buyers.

About the signature thing, could use a few pix more I guess.

@Abomination: if it's implemented the right way, there should be a checkbox to disable when creating a thread/post. And of course an admin disable option.

could be a vbseo specific feature coz i see this on my own forum for a long time now...

i don't mind if it is made optional. but to have it is pretty important for me! :eek:

Words cannot describe how annoying I find that is. If I wanted text substituted I would type the words out, then highlight and insert a link. I detest the software determining what the text should be.

i understand what you are saying here. but that takes too much time and most forum members would never care to do that. if i need to check the link on some text, i can hover my cursor over it and check it out! but i cannot really guess what the link is about from the URL itself.

Holy cow... I just noticed on my own activity on my forum... I need this feature! I really do not make links manually and rely on the CMS to convert the link to its proper format automatically.

ok. i understand the people do not like bumping of old threads... but this is one query that i would really like to ask from the developers.

Words cannot describe how annoying I find that is. If I wanted text substituted I would type the words out, then highlight and insert a link. I detest the software determining what the text should be.
An excellent point. I, too, can see this becoming something of a hindrance in the long-run. I can understand it being beneficial from an administrative or SEO standpoint, however I can imagine there will be times when a link is posted that will point to a thread with a rather unsavoury title and perhaps would be better suited to have custom anchor text.

well it can always be made an admin set preference. but in my own opinion title tag is a better alternative to long cryptic URL. SEO is of course another advantage. and users would always have the option to put in their own text for the URL.

i had like to hear the dev's point of view. they always give a pretty solid reason for not implementing something :) i have had a couple of suggestions rejected already! but i have been pretty happy with the explanations.

Fully agree.

It always annoys me when links are automatically converted, sometimes for the worse.

ok so basically it is more about personal preferences and possibilities that some rude text can appear as a result of auto title imports. any other reasoning? i mean if a web page has a rude title tag, that page is likely to be rude in nature. i do not see the point.

do not take it offensively, but i would still like to hear the dev's point of view.

i had like to hear the dev's point of view. they always give a pretty solid reason for not implementing something :) i have had a couple of suggestions rejected already! but i have been pretty happy with the explanations.
It sounds like you think it's been rejected. As a matter of fact, Kier has posted in a previous suggestion about this that it is something he wants to see (and there is some experimental code for it). I make no promises when (or if) it will be implemented though.

We usually only "reject" suggestions if there are particular reasons why they would be problematic. Most of the time is spent reading people's thoughts on various suggestions and features. It is quite important for us to sit back and watch these discussions. If it's something that few people seem to want or doesn't seem to fit, then it may not be taken up. If more people want it over time, then obviously that can be reconsidered. This is why liking (ie, voting for) suggestions is so important.

This would be very irritating for me.

A middle-ground option would be to mouse-over a local link and the thread title would fade in with some sort of tooltip feature.

But that only shows support for the suggestion.

What about all those who don't want a feature but don't feel inclined to post about it?
Then posts like yours are all the more valuable. It's easy to say you want a feature, but saying why you don't want a feature requires explanation in order for it to be useful feedback.

This would be very irritating for me.

A middle-ground option would be to mouse-over a local link and the thread title would fade in with some sort of tooltip feature.
It can have advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that you get the content without the clutter. A disadvantage (at least on vB/vBSEO) is that when you link to an individual posts in a thread, it always shows the thread title, not the post #.

Then posts like yours are all the more valuable. It's easy to say you want a feature, but saying why you don't want a feature requires explanation in order for it to be useful feedback.

i had like to add here. it would be nice that if you can show your disinterest in a particular suggestion by being polite about it. i hate this idea/i do not want it/i find it annoying (who probably explained it already why they suggested the idea in the first place)... rather discouraging to folks who are making the suggestions. be a little nice.

That's fair enough.

A fairer and possibly more useful way IMO would be to add a poll to all suggestion threads with 2, possibly 3 options:
  • Yes/I agree
  • No/I don't agree
  • I don't care/I don't know
That way you would get a better representation for support for or against proposed ideas.

Problem is. New people join daily, and start up similar threads to what already exist. Occasionally it is difficult to know that because they are worded slightly different, but often times the same thing gets brought up over and over. The people type/vote in the first 4 or 5, but it gets a bit tiring and tend not to comment after a while.

The only way I could possibly think of to handle that would be to moderate new threads, or 'submit' a thread/idea to someone on the staff that checks against a master list. Which is not friendly and a lot of work.

The way I see it this could be a feature and still allow you control of what shows in your posts.

1. A user pastes an unformatted link into a post, this would be auto-formatted as the page title
Parsed: [url=Green and Gold Rugby]http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php[/url]
Output: Green and Gold Rugby

2. A user wants more control over what they post, so they use the option attribute
Post: [url=Aussie Blog about Rugby]http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php[/url]
Render: Aussie Blog about Rugby

3. A user wants to force the URL to display in a post, so they again use the option attribute
Post: [url=http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php]http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php[/url]
Render: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php

i should add something here. i love this feature for one good reason.

i can use short links while still getting it to post the actual title tag of the web page linked. quickly. the idea is to get some data on how many times that link is visited.

posting a shortlink on a forum post does not look good as it does not give ANY DATA on what that link is related to.

of course, i can still do it the long way. write some text. select it and use the short link. but yeah, waiting for this feature whenever developers are okay with it!

PS. should add here... that i understand that this is a bad policy. a user should know where he is going on clicking a link so he should be shown the 'actual' link.

Top Bottom