Lack of interest [Suggestion] Add a "AddThis" icon to the "Share This Page" area

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Kevin

When viewing a thread Twitter, FaceBook, and Google have visible links at the bottom of the page in the "Share This Page" area. However, with 1.1.0 if you click on the post number to get the permalink you can also utilize the "AddThis" service.

Suggestion is to add a new link or icon, perhaps something generic like "More...", in the same area that when clicked brings up the AddThis pop-up like it does when viewing the permalink. If the AddThis option is disabled in the ACP then the new link/icon would be suppressed as well. The way it is now the additional services offered by AddThis are hidden from the user and it is not intuitive to click a post # to view additional "share" options when there are already "share this page" options shown on the screen. When click on the permalink there would be no changes to the current behavior.

To be clear, I'm not asking that all of the icons from the permalink pop-up be added to the bottom of the thread view page (because that would be way too cluttered) but just a single link or icon that activates the AddThis pop up box.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
PLEASE add this or someone tell me how to add it myself. I really would like reddit, digg, and stumble buttons to be accessible on my site. Would really boost my numbers

When viewing a thread Twitter, FaceBook, and Google have visible links at the bottom of the page in the "Share This Page" area. However, with 1.1.0 if you click on the post number to get the permalink you can also utilize the "AddThis" service.

Suggestion is to add a new link or icon, perhaps something generic like "More...", in the same area that when clicked brings up the AddThis pop-up like it does when viewing the permalink. If the AddThis option is disabled in the ACP then the new link/icon would be suppressed as well. The way it is now the additional services offered by AddThis are hidden from the user and it is not intuitive to click a post # to view additional "share" options when there are already "share this page" options shown on the screen. When click on the permalink there would be no changes to the current behavior.

To be clear, I'm not asking that all of the icons from the permalink pop-up be added to the bottom of the thread view page (because that would be way too cluttered) but just a single link or icon that activates the AddThis pop up box.
Let me look at this. I released an add on a few days ago which adds AddThis to each post.

It should be quite simple to add it to the "Share This Page" area.

share.webp

How about similar to this?

This is one of AddThis' default widgets. It contains nearly the same three buttons we've always had, but adds a Share button which contains the other 500 or so options.

There's also this:

share2.webp

The latter one would be incredibly easy to include in addition to the default one, but my thinking is, if you're looking to have the AddThis functionality then it would be best to completely replace the default buttons (which aren't tracked via AddThis' analytics) with the first one I posted which can be tracked via AddThis analytics.

Ok guys,

I have this up and running at my site. Let me know what you think.

Check it out at www.valvetime.net.

Summary:

This affects the "Share this Page" buttons at the bottom of most pages and in the sidebar. (Found only on the sidebar of the forum index of my site, http://www.valvetime.net/forum)

I have replaced the default share buttons with code from AddThis and added an additional button (pictured above) which reveals the several hundred other AddThis options.

All of the usual conditionals are there so using the built in options in the admin CP you can enable/disable the Facebook, Twitter or Google+ buttons and configure extra stuff such as the @Via option for Tweets.

If you turn AddThis off, the three usual buttons stay and remain working but the Share button disappears.

If this is what you had in mind, let me know, give me some feedback and I'll work out how to make this an add on or just publish the steps necessary to make the template edits.

Nice.

It's not exactly what was asked for. But does the job.

I have a version that replaces the default share buttons with AddThis versions of them so all your share Analytics can be done through it. Also it includes the conditionals which automatically adds in the pub ID if activated in admin CP etc.

Top Bottom