Suggest me a new phone.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Needing to update my current phone to one with more funcationality now my business is expanding,
Minimum:
Emails on the go
Secure password storage for customer accounts
Some sort of way to manage bills / money owed to me / others
Basic project management / status
Calenders

I have not needed or kept up with the latest phone technology, so what would people reccomend and why?
Cheers

Well, your only tough software need is "Basic project management / status".
If that is really essential then you might want to see which of Android or iphone offers the best solution for you.

I bought an iphone 3G just to test it out for $200, and sold it for $180 3 weeks later.
You could try the same trick for Android.

Any new flagship Android phone.

My personal preference is for the HTC Sensation

You got your full browser/email loads of connectivity by default and with apps/ security of remotely locking/tracking/wiping your phone

There's FTP and cPanel apps/Office and more.

I'm sure that Fred said that because you're going to be hard-pressed to find a phone that will fulfill all of those needs.
Either an iPhone 4 or an one of the Android products might come close, but I doubt you're going to find a phone that has all that.

Go with an Iphone. I had an HTC android phone and switched to an Iphone 4. The difference is amazing. There are many apps for the Iphone and you probably find something for what you need.

Galaxy S II blows all other phones out of the water.

You use one? What im after is people who have used these phones and if they would reccomend them or not and why, and if they have used any apps related to the features I need.

Its all good people saying "any android phone" but what I want realy is testimonials on people who use the phones day in day out and if theres anything I should be aware of when buying.

Sure I use my iPhone day in and day out, and would recommend it to anyone, but I don't use it for the extensive purposes you are talking about.
I'm not sure a whole lot of people do?

You use one? What im after is people who have used these phones and if they would reccomend them or not and why, and if they have used any apps related to the features I need.

Its all good people saying "any android phone" but what I want realy is testimonials on people who use the phones day in day out and if theres anything I should be aware of when buying.

I use the older original Galaxy S (which is still to me better than the latest Apple offerings and all but the latest Android handsets), but the Galaxy S II improves upon it in just about every way.

If you want functionality and customisability, Android is without a doubt the way to go.

Also the last time we had a thread about this, the OP went with the Galaxy S II and was extremely pleased with the purchase: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/smartphone-mobilephone.16418/page-3#post-238544

I'm sure that Fred said that because you're going to be hard-pressed to find a phone that will fulfill all of those needs.
Either an iPhone 4 or an one of the Android products might come close, but I doubt you're going to find a phone that has all that.
Exactly. I can and do everything you're asking about and more from an iPhone, but its so much easier from an iPad, especially the project management aspect. Then again, it matters if this is a one man project or multiple people. Charting tasks, dependencies, milestones and resource management on any phone is a challenge. The screen real estate just isn't up to the task.

Needing to update my current phone to one with more funcationality now my business is expanding,
Minimum:
Emails on the go
Secure password storage for customer accounts
Some sort of way to manage bills / money owed to me / others

Basic project management / status
Calenders

I have not needed or kept up with the latest phone technology, so what would people reccomend and why?
Cheers

Bold requirements will come standard or be extremely easy to find on any smartphone app market, even blackberry.
As for project management I'm fairly sure most project management softwares have apps on android and iOS.
I'm currently in the market for a new phone, from my old blackberry looking to get a samsung galaxy S2 or whatever variant my carrier may get.

I think this is something that needs to be researched beyond just scratching the surface, especially if you're looking to get a 3-year contract with your phone.
If you're looking to go the iphone route, you should consider whether or not you're familiar with how it operates or if you're willing to learn (same goes for other phones) but also the recent price drops in the iphone 4 and the upcoming iOS 5 indicate there will likely be a new iphone released soon.
Whether it be the iphone 5 we've heard so many rumors about, or just a 4S, or both, I'd say you could expect something new and soon.

Right HTC Desire then based on the fact that I have one.

It has built in POP/exchange email services the best mobile browser experience by a long mile, every review will tell you that.

Can you tell me what you mean by billing software?

Secure password storage for Android https://market.android.com/details?id=uk.co.kuffs.free.passwordsafe&feature=search_result

Money manager https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handyapps.easymoney&feature=search_result

Project manager https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hawkmoon.mpm&feature=search_result

Calendar is built in, you can sync it with your gmail/facebook stuff too.

All the syncing the phone does is super easy, when you first turn the phone on it'll ask you to import sim contacts if you have them or transfer them/whatever. Then you'll be asked for gmail logins/facebook/twitter and a few other optionals, your phone will go through all the contacts on all the accounts and cross reference them for you, all your calendar, email texts will all be interlinked.

You can not get a more sync's phone than an Android the possibilities are literally endless.

This is why I would suggest a flagship HTC Android phone for you.

Some other apps of interest are

cPanel app - https://market.android.com/details?id=net.cpanel.remote.donate&feature=search_result
FTP app - https://market.android.com/details?id=lysesoft.andftppro&feature=search_result

Exactly. I can and do everything you're asking about and more from an iPhone, but its so much easier from an iPad, especially the project management aspect.
Your pants must have a lot of room. :) IMHO, a phone is not a tablet is not a netbook. Each has its uses.

1. You don't sound like the person who really demands simplicity. If you want to do true management of any data, be it files or whatnot, my feeling is to stay away from any Apple product if you need flexibility. I won't go into detail but the pros of the iOS are not in business data management, especially the ease of drag-drop and synchronization without the need for WiFi. Not everyone needs this but once I hear it I usually think Android.

2. Using 4G, I'd have to say that anyone investing in an iPhone is not making a good choice unless there is an overhwhelming need or investment to match, e.g. you have all Apple products, own 30 essential iPhone apps and it would be devastating to move. Once you go 4G, you never go back. 'nuff said!

What do I use? An HTC Thunderbolt which is great. The only drawback (first ever release) was an underpowered battery but I have an extended battery that lasts forever. Now the system is better optimized and numerous other 4G Android phones are on the market. The new ones about to come out are devastatingly fast and do just about anything you could want. I don't know what provider you use but there is a great solution on each platform.

Top Bottom