Successfully Moved my vBulletin 3.x + vBSEO + vBBlog

shabbirbhimani

Yet another vBulletin to Xenforo move thread I guess but I could not resist. I hope this is the right forum for such threads.

The move was a breeze apart from the fact that vBBlog move needed some minor scripts and manual redirection. The script I wrote was tiny few lines script that I have shared here on my blog along with all the experience and planning

http://imtips.co/vbseo-vbblog-vbulletin-xenforo.html

Planning to move other vB into Xenforo soon.

Nice write-up, man! Welcome to xenForo! :)

I liked this part the most:
The next choice was to make a move to Xenforo from vBulletin and many webmasters have opted for the same including Shawn Hogan of Digital Point (and you can read about his migration here). The only thing that prevented me from opting for Xenforo was the lawsuit against them. I was convinced that Xenforo would come out clean (which they managed as well. See here) and it is Internet Brands testing them financially but then I did not want to take chance with Xenforo because if it did not manage to develop the software further I may need to get into development of Xenforo anyways so the obvious choice left was to develop on vBulletin 3.x
I had not seen it that way, but it's a thought that is very interesting. (y)

I've always thought it was a [new] juggernaut trying to destroy a new company because they delivered a superior product.

If I may make a suggestion: Keep whatever Wordpress project you have, and leave it alone, and transfer all of your vB instances to xenForo. I like the site you linked us to. Very nice design, very clean, very professional.

Efficiently dysfunctional ;)
:D
I've always thought it was a [new] juggernaut trying to destroy a new company because they delivered a superior product.
Agree with you on this completely.
If I may make a suggestion: Keep whatever Wordpress project you have, and leave it alone, and transfer all of your vB instances to xenForo. I like the site you linked us to. Very nice design, very clean, very professional.
Yes I have same plans apart from 1 vB where I have made it pretty much a non-vB. ( www.go4expert.com ) and not sure as of now I can move that to Xenforo but yes definitely moving others as time permits me.

Congrats on the move!

I have a question, what did you do about your vbseo links? Did the default redirect scripts work out of the box or you had to do some more work, like edits in your htaccess file? I'm converting next week :)

Congrats on the move!

I have a question, what did you do about your vbseo links? Did the default redirect scripts work out of the box or you had to do some more work, like edits in your htaccess file? I'm converting next week :)
vBSEO needs .htaccess rules are needed which you can grab from here http://tools.geekpoint.net/xfseo/ and then use the Redirect Plugin along with it and that would make the redirect work automatically.

If you want to move your sig link forum into XF, your forum urls will have to be manually redirected as those will not work out of the box like I have done. Let me know if you need more help and will be more than happy to help.

Top Bottom