1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Successfully Moved my vBulletin 3.x + vBSEO + vBBlog

Discussion in 'Forum Showcase and Critiques' started by shabbirbhimani, Apr 24, 2013.

1. shabbirbhimani

shabbirbhimani Active Member

Yet another vBulletin to Xenforo move thread I guess but I could not resist. I hope this is the right forum for such threads.

The move was a breeze apart from the fact that vBBlog move needed some minor scripts and manual redirection. The script I wrote was tiny few lines script that I have shared here on my blog along with all the experience and planning

Planning to move other vB into Xenforo soon.
    Crayo, jmurrayhead, Miner and 10 others like this.
  2. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!
    shabbirbhimani and 14DH01 like this.
  3. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

shabbirbhimani and 14DH01 like this.
  4. shabbirbhimani

Thanks for the warm welcome by XF Senior members and yes that post sums up my experience and outlook with vBulletin.
  5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

Nice writeup and congrats on the move ;)
    shabbirbhimani likes this.
  6. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Nice job!

Welcome to our dysfunctional family! :p
    shabbirbhimani and Russ like this.
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Who says we are dysfunctional? :cautious:
  8. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

Efficiently dysfunctional ;)
    Alien likes this.
  9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Nice write-up, man! Welcome to xenForo! :)

I liked this part the most:
    I had not seen it that way, but it's a thought that is very interesting. (y)

I've always thought it was a [new] juggernaut trying to destroy a new company because they delivered a superior product.

If I may make a suggestion: Keep whatever Wordpress project you have, and leave it alone, and transfer all of your vB instances to xenForo. I like the site you linked us to. Very nice design, very clean, very professional.
    shabbirbhimani likes this.
  10. shabbirbhimani

Agree with you on this completely.
    Yes I have same plans apart from 1 vB where I have made it pretty much a non-vB. ( www.go4expert.com ) and not sure as of now I can move that to Xenforo but yes definitely moving others as time permits me.
    Robert F Schmitz and Carlos like this.
  11. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Congrats on the move!

I have a question, what did you do about your vbseo links? Did the default redirect scripts work out of the box or you had to do some more work, like edits in your htaccess file? I'm converting next week :)
  12. shabbirbhimani

vBSEO needs .htaccess rules are needed which you can grab from here http://tools.geekpoint.net/xfseo/ and then use the Redirect Plugin along with it and that would make the redirect work automatically.

If you want to move your sig link forum into XF, your forum urls will have to be manually redirected as those will not work out of the box like I have done. Let me know if you need more help and will be more than happy to help.
    Dakis likes this.
  13. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Sure if you can help me out that would be great!
  14. shabbirbhimani

I would love to. Let me know what help you need.
    Dakis likes this.
  15. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

I'll try to use that tool you posted and then I'll come back :)
  16. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Do I need to enable Use Full Friendly URLs ?
  17. shabbirbhimani

I prefer that but if you are not using friendly urls then you will have index.php part in the urls all the time.