1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Sub domain based url

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Max, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Max

Max Active Member

hi i want to make few categories of the forum appear in special subdomain based url other than the normal forum url.

In normal conditions
    mymobile.com's nokia and samsung category urls are like

I want them to appear like

2. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

Whoa.. I don't think it's possible to remove the controller name from the url. If I'm mistaken, please feel free to correct me.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The route filter function can only change routes, not remove them.
    So it wouldn't be possible to remove /community/ from the URL.
  4. Max

Max Active Member

Thanks, so is it possible to make the url appear as sub domain without removing the community part?

I mostly want to separate the section with subdomain, I am happy with any url word arrangements after that
  5. Max

Max Active Member

Guys any help?
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If your installation is in /community, no you can't do that.
  7. Max

Max Active Member

I am not really clear about the possibilities,
    Can you please tell me how can i have the category url appear with separate sub domain in it?

mymobile.com forum's nokia category thread urls like

8. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You would have to do quite a bit of server hackery. Definitely not possible with route filters.
  9. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Have you checked out @Waindigo's http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sub-domains-by-waindigo.2233/ add-on to see if it would work?
    Max and Jon W like this.
  10. Max

Max Active Member

11. Tracy Perry

I don't think rewrites will do what you want (not and the browser address bar show as nokia.mymobile.com).
    I'm trying out a rewrite currently (waiting for DNS to update) that points harley.twotwheeldemon.com at a category I have set up. Once I can test it I will update this post.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are wanting the nokia.mymobile.com to point at a nokia specific area of your site, the samsung at another, et al. If so, then yes, that add-on will work (and you WILL have to use some permissions to make other nodes not visible to each one... not to mention needing a license for each one since they will appear as individual domains with all topics not viewable in each.
    oloman likes this.
  12. Max

Max Active Member

Thanks please update me

Yes i like the idea of that addon, but this "If a user has never logged into a sub-domain, they will not appear in the member lists, online lists, etc. and their profile will not be visible on that sub-domain."
    I want all the section members to appear on main homepage and other users can see where that guy is and interact with him even he is in other subdomain.
    So i am looking for just url change option only.
    oloman likes this.
  13. Tracy Perry

Couldn't get nginx to rewrite a domain to a specific category... will have to play with it some more.

Looks like you may need a custom add-on written then.