Styles for the beta...?

Russ

Don't worry :) I'm not asking for lots of styles to be released for the beta

HOWEVER how safe am I to start styling when you guys release the beta? Over time from beta to "gold" will there be an overhaul to the styling system which would break my custom style? Do you guys plan on offering upgrade instructions for styles(if any)?

Sorry if these questions have been asked but I just want to make sure.

I don't plan to start creating styles until it's stable. My reasoning behind it, is that I'll use the beta stage to learn the system, and how to incorporate all the xenforo features into my own designs. I'd imagine that the styles system will probably most stay the same though, but I could be wrong.

Difficult to say really, at most we can only speculate.

Mike or Kier might be forced to make changes before 1.0 so nothing is certain at this point.
Unlikely I know but possible :)

Oh I will definately be playing :D Just wanted to know if themes will be updatable or if it will be a scrap and restart situation beta to beta or beta to final (sorry I refuse to use the term "gold" as I think it is some sleazy marketing hype word )

(sorry I refuse to use the term "gold" as I think it is some sleazy marketing hype word )
I like 1.0 :)

Whatever people do with the beta styles, I'm sure the majority if not all of their work will be reusable with future versions.
If not, just take notes of the settings etc, and it should be fairly easy to redo everything.

I like 1.0 :)

Whatever people do with the beta styles, I'm sure the majority if not all of their work will be reusable with future versions.
If not, just take notes of the settings etc, and it should be fairly easy to redo everything.

Thanks Paul, and yeah I like 1.0 too... very much in fact :D

(sorry I refuse to use the term "gold" as I think it is some sleazy marketing hype word )
<offtopic>
Well "gold" for an internet distributed software is kinda weird. Gold used to meant that a golden master copy was sent to the cd creation plant.
</offtopic>

It would be really nice if they explain what parts of the style has been changed between 'betas' until 'public/final' release

Ya that's why I did "gold" haha :) I know things may change but if I can start doing my custom style as soon as possible I'd love too. Guess I'm looking for a solid green light to start some dirty work :)

I doubt M/K would do a "learn Italian to get the most out of XF, but in 3 months XF will be in French, but at least some Italian and French words are sorta alike, so its not too bad, although eventually in like a year we will rewrite it all in English instead"... type of thing.
Im confident XF will be in English when it gets to Beta, English when its Gold, and English a year down the road.
At most future corrections might be more about proper punctuation and other minor grammatical errors.

I doubt M/K would do a "learn Italian to get the most out of XF, but in 3 months XF will be in French, but at least some Italian and French words are sorta alike, so its not too bad, although eventually in like a year we will rewrite it all in English instead"... type of thing.
Im confident XF will be in English when it gets to Beta, English when its Gold, and English a year down the road.
At most future corrections might be more about proper punctuation and other minor grammatical errors.

Even in English folks could still pronounce tomato tomoto. So clarification would be nice :)

While it is not an intention of ours to make major changes to the style during the beta period, it's impossible to say that there won't be, simply due to the nature of it being beta.

By all means play with the system during the beta, even produce styles, but take special care to note what you are changing and where so that if a big change occurs in a template you have modified, you should be able to re-apply your own customizations.

Kier just to expand on this a little, will people be able to export their style from beta 1 and import to beta 2? Thinking here of the folks who might go live on the beta, and will want their look and feel happening from day one.

Top Bottom