As designed Style Properties: Color Palette

Adam Howard

Changing a color here (Style Properties: Color Palette) should not impact properties which have already been clearly defined else where (in other properties).

However at the moment they are (which should be counted as a bug).

I would not count this as a fix and it should not be dependent as one, as this "hack" (work around) only applies if you have changed every style property individually within the skin and are not depending on anything in Style Properties: Color Palette

To bypass Style Properties: Color Palette, one must "turn it off" or essentially make the coloring in it obsolete to revert to all the individual style properties. To do this, simply change Style Properties: Color Palette values to clear.

^^^ I'm hesitant to post this as I really would be disappointed and even let down if development tried to argue this "as designed" or otherwise as a solution. The point of Style Properties: Color Palette is to make skinning XenForo easier, but you should be able to manually change 1, single, individual property else where that is indifferent to Style Properties: Color Palette without Style Properties: Color Palette affecting it and thus not having to require to change every other style property associated with it.

Well, the palette is all by reference. That is the whole point. It allows you to change a color in one place and affect all other areas that reference that color swatch. If you want a new swatch that is not tied to any existing properties then you can create a new swatch.

Well, the palette is all by reference. That is the whole point. It allows you to change a color in one place and affect all other areas that reference that color swatch. If you want a new swatch that is not tied to any existing properties then you can create a new swatch.
No that is not how they should work (or maybe I explained it poorly).

If I change a single style property, say for example here
Capture.webp

^^^ It should take precedence over this.....

Untitled.webp

If however, I have explained myself clearly and this is "as designed" it is a serious design flaw over the current standard for any other software which offers the option to use style property / style var software.... ie... phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, BB, WordPress, Burning Board, SMF.... ect...ect... ect... Leaving only XenForo to do the exact opposite which makes designing harder.

It will if you change the background color to not use the swatch.
Swatch? My vocabulary is not alway on par (I'm a doer and less of a teacher). Do you mean the image? If so, that should still be possible (if not, it's a bug... above example was default theme).

Overall, I would still have to disagree in that the expected design affect is not currently possible and is bug

Click the background color box. You will see it references a swatch. Example, @contentBackground is a swatch:

Screen shot 2012-12-29 at 11.50.57 PM.webp

Click the Color Picker tab to choose a different color without using the palette.

Then I need instructions to reproduce the bug. The system works fine for me.
Ok...

"Style Properties: Color Palette" "as is" (or all the same color)

Change all available style properties to different colors..... Notice what continues to follow "Style Properties: Color Palette" despite everything else being changed.

OR .... A quicker way would be to download
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/black-abyss.1261/

Remove all extra.css code
Revert all "Style Properties: Color Palette" back to default, but keep all the other style properties "as is" ..... Notice what follows "Style Properties: Color Palette" despite settings being changed else where.

(I'm doing this by memory)

Need specific instructions. I have "noticed" everything about the style property system. It works as expected. As the person reporting the bug you need to tell me what isn't working as expected, and provide instructions to reproduce said behavior.

Need specific instructions. I have "noticed" everything about the style property system. It works as expected. As the person reporting the bug you need to tell me what isn't working as expected, and provide instructions to reproduce said behavior.
A quicker way would be to download
  • Remove all extra.css code
  • Revert all "Style Properties: Color Palette" back to default, but keep all the other style properties "as is"
  • Notice what follows "Style Properties: Color Palette" despite settings being changed else where.
^^ This way the work is done for you ... ie... All the style properties, everything, was manually changed.... Nothing was skipped. It is the XenForo default skin with only 2 color changes (all black and all white).

The only code edit was extra.css and "Style Properties: Color Palette" to overcome this bug (which you can revert and see proof)

edit: Do not recall which style properties it is by memory, hunting it down at the moment is out of scope for support... Enjoy the bug.

Thanks for this explanation Jake, I had forgotten how easy it is to choose a swatch or your own custom color for those style properties. Everything works as expected on my installations.

A quicker way would be to download
  • Remove all extra.css code
  • Revert all "Style Properties: Color Palette" back to default, but keep all the other style properties "as is"
  • Notice what follows "Style Properties: Color Palette" despite settings being changed else where.
^^ This way the work is done for you ... ie... All the style properties, everything, was manually changed.... Nothing was skipped. It is the XenForo default skin with only 2 color changes (all black and all white).

The only code edit was extra.css and "Style Properties: Color Palette" to overcome this bug (which you can revert and see proof)

edit: Do not recall which style properties it is by memory, hunting it down at the moment is out of scope for support... Enjoy the bug.

There's seldom any point highlighting what you deem as a bug, bragging there's a bug and not being specific what you think is a bug as that alone does not yield results and/or solutions what you deem as a problem which probably isn't a problem. If there is a problem I'm sure it won't be long before somebody reports it and the appropriate people will take a look at it and try to replicate said behaviour or there of lack of it.

I won't enjoy the bug, I hug bugs and eat them for breakfast. :LOL:

Top Bottom