XF 2.0 Strange cookies issue on ios Safari

Mr Lucky

This morning I got this cookie acceptance notice on my site, in spite of the fact I intiated and accpeted the cookie acceptance months ago and have not retriggered it since, nor deleted or changed safari cookie settings.

However there was only that "We run into some problems" error, no cookie notice with tick box to accept cookies.

So I then refreshed browser and the error is still there, click on alerts and it's still there, click on new posts and it goes away, all is good and working again.

Can anyone please explain what may be going on? Thanks

cookies.webp

Same on my website.

I'm on Android and Google Chrome with desktop and I get the same notice. Anytime my members try to login or register they get this notice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181031-103545.webp
    Screenshot_20181031-103545.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 8
We've seen this a couple times, though it's hard to deal with. (Note that this is specific to when the issue goes away after taking an action.)

It looks like somehow you've had the page served but either you weren't given a CSRF token cookie or the cookie wasn't accepted. The odd thing is that if you're logged in, then you do already have some sort of cookie -- I'd guess the persistent user cookie. Unfortunately, that's not really detectable (and is roughly what the "cookies required" message is about). If we set the cookie, then we expect it to be there; if it's not, then the error is appropriate.

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow a cached page has been served but when you request a fresh page, no cookies are being sent through. To be honest, that is a particularly odd behavior. I suppose we could completely block caching, but personally, I think that makes for a slower back/forward experience and I'm not a huge fan.

Thanks MIke

Do you know if this this more likely to be browser issue than a server issue (I don't want to bother Matt if it's nothing to do with the server)

I don't know if it can be related, but a member just contacted me saying that last night he was unable to reply in a thread. No reply text box. All permissions were correct (had not been changed anyway), and then all of a sudden it was OK again.

Could that be related?

I'd have to guess browser issue, unless you had some sort of explicit caching setup outside of XF (page level caching type of thing). It's only something we've heard of a few times and AFAIK, it was iOS each of the times. (In the past, I'm not sure it was in Safari itself, but a web view in another app.)

The other issue is very unlikely to be related.

I'd have to guess browser issue, unless you had some sort of explicit caching setup outside of XF (page level caching type of thing). It's only something we've heard of a few times and AFAIK, it was iOS each of the times. (In the past, I'm not sure it was in Safari itself, but a web view in another app.)

The other issue is very unlikely to be related.
Sorry to necro an old thread. It seems my iOS users are unable to actually click the cookie notice. It just shows up at the bottom and wont go away regardless what / where they click. Was there ever a found solution to this? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to necro an old thread. It seems my iOS users are unable to actually click the cookie notice. It just shows up at the bottom and wont go away regardless what / where they click. Was there ever a found solution to this? Thanks in advance.
Seemed to be cache:

Top Bottom