Resource icon

Sticky First Post 1.0

No permission to download

MOZ

MOZ submitted a new resource:

Sticky First Post (version 1.0) - Make the first post stick to every page in the thread

This release can be upgraded using the Add-On Installer by Chris Deeming
autoinstall.png

Please consider donating if you find this add-on useful. Contact:...

Read more about this resource...

Kindly suggest features/bugs here: http://www.raid101.com/community/index.php?forums/sticky-first-post.138/

This looks cool - especially if Moderators can decide the relevant threads and then make them show up.

Not sure if I want my users to do so......they ALL want fame and fortune, but the mods could bless certain threads with this.....

thanks for sharing this!

I like this! Loaded it on my new site and it looks great! (Or at least it will when I have users.)

Great Add-on, excellent idea!

When I use the option to put the postbit to the right, the full postbit is not displayed although ... in both the the first post on the first page, and as the sticky post on subsequent pages. Is this the desired functionality?

I like the idea of the full postbit not being displayed on subsequent pages (but think it should only be the avatar and username shown), but the initial/first post on the first page should be the full postbit.

Great Add-on, excellent idea!

When I use the option to put the postbit to the right, the full postbit is not displayed although ... in both the the first post on the first page, and as the sticky post on subsequent pages. Is this the desired functionality?

I like the idea of the full postbit not being displayed on subsequent pages (but think it should only be the avatar and username shown), but the initial/first post on the first page should be the full postbit.
Yes. That is as expected.

Yes. That is as expected.
So if you sticky first post a thread then the users are instantly restricted in seeing the sticky post authors full postbit details. Interesting requirement, I cannot understand why you would want that.
Kills it for me :(

So if you sticky first post a thread then the users are instantly restricted in seeing the sticky post authors full postbit details. Interesting requirement, I cannot understand why you would want that.
Kills it for me :(

That is if you choose one of the preset layouts as is. As I mention in my description, you can enable showing the rest of the stuff by enabling it from the style properties. Are you using TMS?

I tested this behind the scenes and like it - but I think I would need a custom (manual) style because it may be hard for the average user to really know what the deal is and they'd confuse this post, even with the stock styles, as just part of the thread.

I envision something like a dashed box around the whole post with text somewhere inside (along bottom of the post) which says "this is the original starting post of this thread, you are looking at page X of the replies below"....

or something like that! Something which even a dummy would know....what it means. IMHO, the reader needs to instantly recognize what is up, as opposed to having to learn.

Cool add-on!
Thanks!

Thanks! I'll mock something better when I have a moment - but, for instance:

1. Removing the sig - of course, this might be better on every page but the first one, but maybe that's impossible...

2. Coloring the text or background - this is easily done in the style boxes.....as you show....so no problem there.

3. Maybe a watermark below the text and user submitted content. This could be on a diagonal and say "Original Post" or something of the sort

4. Maybe text in the postbit or under saying "original post by above, this is page 6 of 30" or something of the sort.

I hope you see where I am going with this! I have found that you and I and those who spend a lot of time on forums may easily understand things like this OP at the top of every page, but the average internet user really needs to know exactly what it is and where they are! I use my wife and parents for testers if I really want to figure something in usability out!

example.webp

Thanks! I'll mock something better when I have a moment - but, for instance:

1. Removing the sig - of course, this might be better on every page but the first one, but maybe that's impossible...

2. Coloring the text or background - this is easily done in the style boxes.....as you show....so no problem there.

3. Maybe a watermark below the text and user submitted content. This could be on a diagonal and say "Original Post" or something of the sort

4. Maybe text in the postbit or under saying "original post by above, this is page 6 of 30" or something of the sort.

Style Properties are so much more powerful than people realise
1. Style Properties: Sticky First Post - Message Elements --> Signature, add "display:none" as additional CSS. :)

2. Style Properties

3. You can again use style properties, background can be your watermark in signature or use the :after CSS property, like so:
Rich (BB code):
.first_SFP_post:after {
content: "Original Post Above" !important;
visibility: visible !important;
text-align:center;
font-size: 20px;
color: red;

}
You can only use static content
4. This requires dynamic text (The page number), so something I can add in the next version.

Thanks. I'll fiddle with it. I did try some transparent background images with "1st post" but it was late at night and I could not place them correctly (only pieces of them showed)

So, would #1 leave the sig in his first post on the first page? Or is that difficult or impossible?

So all thread pages will have the same meta description for this?
<meta name="description" content="Description"/>

Top Bottom