Staying on Xenforo 1 or Upgrading

Upgrading or Staying

• Upgrading to Xenforo 2

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Staying on Xenforo 1

Votes: 30 28.8%

• Total voters
I started my new site on Xenforo 2.0 and after a few weeks of trying to sort things out the way I'd like, I'm regretting using XF2 this early in it's life. The add-ons are just not there for it right now and it seems like add-on developers are taking forever to upgrade some of their core add-ons they sell for premium prices for XF1.

I started my new site on Xenforo 2.0 and after a few weeks of trying to sort things out the way I'd like, I'm regretting using XF2 this early in it's life. The add-ons are just not there for it right now and it seems like add-on developers are taking forever to upgrade some of their core add-ons they sell for premium prices for XF1.
Larger add-ons take time to develop, and when a lot of the underlying platform architecture has changed it's going to be a lot of work to get it completed.

My general rule of thumb for updating my forums is to wait ~6 months or longer to be sure that everything I need is fully up to date, or is in a reasonable window where I can live without it.

Larger add-ons take time to develop, and when a lot of the underlying platform architecture has changed it's going to be a lot of work to get it completed.

My general rule of thumb for updating my forums is to wait ~6 months or longer to be sure that everything I need is fully up to date, or is in a reasonable window where I can live without it.
I'm aware of this, but seeing as how XF2 has had MANY betas, they could have started upgrading said add-ons many months ago......Now on 2.0.2 possibly going onto 2.0.3 any time now, they could've easily migrated some of these 'larger' add-ons over, i know they take time, that's not the issue here. The issue is even simpler, smaller add-ons are missing......

And i didn't actually upgrade my forums, i started my new forum on XF2, kinda wish I went with XF1 now. :P

I'm aware of this, but seeing as how XF2 has had MANY betas, they could have started upgrading said add-ons many months ago......Now on 2.0.2 possibly going onto 2.0.3 any time now, they could've easily migrated some of these 'larger' add-ons over, i know they take time, that's not the issue here. The issue is even simpler, smaller add-ons are missing......

And i didn't actually upgrade my forums, i started my new forum on XF2, kinda wish I went with XF1 now. :p

August 9th: XF2 on XenForo
September 12th: XF2 Beta
November 7th: XF2 RC
November 28th: XF2 Release

XF2 has only been available in a beta form for 6 months, and only as an actual released product for 3 months. Because a lot has changed between XF1 and XF2, most devs probably only spent the beta and RC period learning what has changed, and looking at how they would address those changes within their add-ons.

A lot of the better developers are beginning to release XF2 versions of their add-ons now at least in the form of a beta to work out any bugs or quirks, and likely more will becoming soon.

Have to remember they still need to support their XF1 add-ons, and a lot of them supplement themselves with custom work (I know @XFA does a ton of work for me when I need it).

Reactions: XFA
At the moment I'm resigning myself to the position of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and staying on XF1 until ThemesCorp updates the style I use. I figure by the time they finally update it, any bugs or other kinks that snuck into XF2's release will have been ironed out and I won't have to deal with them.

Wow, that theme brings back memories. One of the most beautiful dark themes I've used. Nice to see it still in use :)

Wow, that theme brings back memories. One of the most beautiful dark themes I've used. Nice to see it still in use :)

And it's been pretty damn frustrating not finding its XF2-compatible equal so I can finally upgrade XF. I've spent nearly $200 trying out and customizing different styles, none of which have complimented my board's subject matter like XenFracture does.

I'm actually amazed that so many add-ons are already available for xenforo 2.0
I don't think it's realistic to expect large add-ons to be rewritten within a few months after xf2 was released.

And it's been pretty damn frustrating not finding its XF2-compatible equal so I can finally upgrade XF. I've spent nearly $200 trying out and customizing different styles, none of which have complimented my board's subject matter like XenFracture does.

Yeah, I've ended up making my own dark theme for XF2. I'll be popping it up in the resource manager in the next week or so when I finish tidying it up. It's a little darker than XenFracture, I might have a go at recreating it or making one inspired by it for XF2 at some point.

Closest way to recreate that theme would probably take UI.X Dark, adjust the palette to be darker and do a lot of customization.

Miko, Pank (apparently both Miko and Pank had their accounts deleted?) and @Kim had some of the more original artistic styles, so it's unlikely you'll find something to match.

Reactions: Kim
According to the link in your footer, it's being sold by ThemesCorp now, so maybe contact them to see if it will be updated for XF2?

Funny you should mention that one. It's one of the alternatives I tried. ;)

I'll revisit it and see what I can do.

Um... who are Miko and Pank?
As RobinHood said, Miko designed the original XenFracture theme and built the original XenForo design framework that most people have adopted as an example.

@John bought the company from Miko and Pank, and then sold it and I'm unsure if it passed hands again after that or not.

Navigation should be easy to adjust, nodes will be a bit harder.

Top Bottom