1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Status Update Spam

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by petertdavis, Jun 13, 2013.

1. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

What's everyone doing about status update spammage?
  2. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Such as?
  3. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

Complaining...like yours
  4. petertdavis

I was looking for something like how to restrict new members from using the status update feature and how to bulk delete all the spam status updates I already have on the forums. Havne't seen anything in the resources section though.
  5. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

You can already do this with User Permissions > Profile Post Permissions (y)
  6. petertdavis

I know about the user permissions, but it only lets me either enable or disable profile posts, not do something like allow profile posts after they've been registered for 30 days and/or after they've made a dozen posts.
  7. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Yes it does - when used with usergroup promotions!! ;)

Turn it OFF for the Registered group, then promote people to an additional group (which has it ON) based on whatever criteria you want to use, such as posts or days registered. :)

I do it on all my sites for that very same reason - to avoid profile post spam! (y)

Shaun :D
    Alien likes this.
  8. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Mine is setup more or less the same way.....

Everyone who joins is in the registered group, but for the first 25 post they're also in the noob group. Once they've reached or past 25 post, they're out of the noob group & just registered.
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The manual explains how to do an example promotion: http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

You can replicate that for any other permission using post count or other criteria.

I have to say I'm surprised you weren't aware of that functionality.
  10. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

The above method has worked beautifully. New members are limited briefly, and auto-promoted.

Been using this, and we do not suffer from profile spam, conversation, or other similar problems.
  11. petertdavis

I think you guys are right. I was just trying to figure out a way that wasn't too Rube Goldberg-esque. Maybe I was over-thinking it. :)
    Alien and CyclingTribe like this.