Status (Title) under nickname or custom userfield. Group promotion based on post count or trophy?

com

How to allow individual users or group of users to change their custom "status" under nick (custom text instead of "New member" "Moderator")
is it better to target original forum user field ("New member" "Moderator") or use "custom user fields" or badges (like "Staff member")?

How to setup group promotion to give more user permitions based on post count or trophy events (likes count, etc)?
Can I setup special nick font (size, color, css) based on user group membership?

Is it possible to be a member of two groups (and have superset of permissions)?
Who can change user group memberships (group admin, forum admin, super moderator)?

Which permissions attached (cant be revoked) to moderator and super moderator?
Can I remove moderator and super moderator permission to view ip and permission to touch memberships?

Can I have custom user field that cannot be edited by user (I will use it to fill data by custom importer from old forum), but allow user to change visibility of this field?

VB3.6-3.8 importer questions:
Where I can see list of imported data fields? (Looks like documentation suggest to run importer to see what you can import)
XF2 importer will collect the same data fields as XF1 importer?(VB3.6-3.8)
Can I import custom user status field ?(VB3.6-3.8)
Can I import custom user profile fields (i.e. "whats your favorite color")?(VB3.6-3.8)
What will happened to "forum groups" (not public groups) after import? (VB3.6)

Last edited:
How to allow individual users or group of users to change their custom "status" under nick (custom text instead of "New member" "Moderator")
is it better to target original forum user field ("New member" "Moderator") or use "custom user fields" or badges (like "Staff member")?
There’s a custom title permission so that can be used. They then edit it from within their profile.

How to setup group promotion to give more user permitions based on post count or trophy events (likes count, etc)?
Can I setup special nick font (size, color, css) based on user group membership?
Yes this is all possible with user group promotions and by editing the user group.

Is it possible to be a member of two groups (and have superset of permissions)?
Yes every user has a primary user group. But can have unlimited secondary groups.

Who can change user group memberships (group admin, forum admin, super moderator)?
This is done by Admins who have the “Manage users” permission.

Which permissions attached (cant be revoked) to moderator and super moderator?
Can I remove moderator and super moderator permission to view ip and permission to touch memberships?
Moderators can have as many or as few permissions as you like either globally on all moderators or you can adjust them on a per moderator basis.

Can I have custom user field that cannot be edited by user (I will use it to fill data by custom importer from old forum), but allow user to change visibility of this field?
You can have a field that is not editable by the user, though that would usually prevent them from seeing it at all other than if it was viewable on their profile. Users can’t change visibility of custom fields.

VB3.6-3.8 importer questions:
Where I can see list of imported data fields? (Looks like documentation suggest to run importer to see what you can import)
XF2 importer will collect the same data fields as XF1 importer?(VB3.6-3.8)
The FAQ sticky in this forum has a screenshot of the full steps for each importer. It will be the same for XF2.

Can I import custom user status field ?(VB3.6-3.8)
Can I import custom user profile fields (i.e. "whats your favorite color")?(VB3.6-3.8)
I can’t recall what status fields are but they may be imported to us as profile posts.

Custom user profile fields are imported, yes.

Thanks for answers.
I can’t recall what status fields are but they may be imported to us as profile posts.
By 'status field' I mean 'custom title'. They are not listed on importer screenshots, so it looks like they will be not imported.
The FAQ sticky in this forum has a screenshot of the full steps for each importer. It will be the same for XF2.
Now I see them. I was reading FAQ without registration and attachments was not visible (as for all guests)

Last edited:
By 'status field' I mean 'custom title'. They are not listed on importer screenshots, so it looks like they will be not imported.
Is that something you call them internally? We import the field "usertitle" from vBulletin users to our "custom_title" field in XF in the "Users" step of the importer.

Note that the importer steps are generally split into content types, rather than individual fields so if you have some specific concerns about specific fields then let us know.

Is that something you call them internally? We import the field "usertitle" from vBulletin users to our "custom_title" field in XF in the "Users" step of the importer.
I use my first language internally, where"title" and "status" is the same word :)

Note that the importer steps are generally split into content types, rather than individual fields so if you have some specific concerns about specific fields then let us know.
Can it import VB3.6-3.8 thread subscriptions ("watch" threads in XF)?
And personal user settings: show signatures/show avatars?

Custom user profile fields are imported, yes.
So, if I want to import user data that is not imported by default (like "total reputation points"?):
I need to copy this vb user data to custom vb user profile field (using mysql, before import).
After import I will have this info in custom field and I can make it uneditable (for future reference).

Last edited:
Can it import VB3.6-3.8 thread subscriptions ("watch" threads in XF)?
Yes, we import those in the "Threads" step.

And personal user settings: show signatures/show avatars?
XF doesn't actually have anything that can switch avatars off (deliberately, as we think they're important), but the show signatures option is maintained and a bunch of other stuff such as automatic thread subscription, whether the user receives admin emails, etc.

So, if I want to import user data that is not imported by default (like "total reputation points"?):
I need to copy this vb user data to custom vb user profile field (using mysql, before import).
After import I will have this info in custom field and I can make it uneditable (for future reference).
Yeah that's not an unreasonable way of doing it.

How importer deal with custom bb code from VB3.6-3.8?
For example, if I have custom bbcode [ youtube ] - it will be stored as unparsed bbcode after import?
To have this code parsed I need to add custom bbcode [ youtube ] using XenForo admin panel before or after import?

Last edited:
Yeah that's not an unreasonable way of doing it.
Which thread meta data is imported from VB3.6-3.8? Only prefixes?
Any reasonable way of transfering VB3.6-3.8 thread icon into XF2 "Custom thread fields"?

Yeah only prefixes.

I suppose custom thread fields could be a target for that, but generally we aim to support only the content we directly support without having to crowbar it in via some other not-really-related feature, so I don't think you'd see it in the default importer.

If they're important, you might be able to get someone to create a custom importer for you. It wouldn't be overly complicated to do.

Top Bottom