• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest State/Country Pulldowns for Users

Hardcore

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but the custom system that we used to manage users prior to XenForo forced users to select their state and/or country via fixed data in pulldowns upon signing-up for an account. This allowed us to do quite a bit of customization based on locale; like emailing all users in a specific state/country/regional grouping or pulling location specific data. Now, with XenForo's free-for-all location field, it renders any location-based customization useless as users can put whatever garbage personal text they want into it.

Is this something XenForo might consider adding? Is there an add-on for this? I've searched and found nothing put a way to put a country flag in a profile; not what I'm looking for.

If not ... +1 for a core feature that would be extremely useful.

Thanks!

craigiri

I was thinking of such tools to be used with thread prefixes.....that is, options to just check a box in the prefix admin which would then auto make prefixes for all 50 states - or canada, etc.....

That would allow the setup of a forum room, if we could force a prefix, where all entries might show first the state that the entry refers to.

Example - a forum where people post the best deal on a particular commodity (in my case, wood pellets for pellet stoves)......

It would be neat if the Prefix worked also when hitting the first letter of the key - like many drop downs do.

Hardcore

So you want to set the Location field to fixed values?
Exactly. That way I can properly use the field for tons of location-based applications. Ideally you'd have 3 location fields. City can be open, but I'd love to see a fixed state/province (optional based on country) and country. Alternatively you could have a zip/postal code, but this would require additional lookups, could be more complicated and might work so well with some parts of the world.

Exactly. That way I can properly use the field for tons of location-based applications. Ideally you'd have 3 location fields. City can be open, but I'd love to see a fixed state/province (optional based on country) and country. Alternatively you could have a zip/postal code, but this would require additional lookups, could be more complicated and might work so well with some parts of the world.
You can do that with the link I posted, doesn't need to have the images, just have the value of the country or whatever.

Hardcore

But it's just country, not supported and not integrated. 90%+ of our users are in the US, so state is very important.