Startups Forum - A forum for startups or businesses

FWIW Russ's suggestion is the best one for you. If you can't see what's being posted, then you won't react to it and then the thread won't degenerate into craziness. While sometimes, I'll concede, comments are made that are purposely negative, there are times when people are genuinely trying to help you - I've tried a few times - and we just get slammed by you for criticising or being negative. It does make it a little hard to want to help you after a while.

Now, with that said and out of the way. I've seen a number of these kind of forums and if you want to compete you do need to focus on getting some content up there. You've posted in the Showcase and Critiques forum - right now there's nothing on the site to showcase and critiques are going to mostly consist of "you need more content".

Hopefully you'll take that as it's meant and not as an attempt to hurt or abuse you in any way.

FWIW Russ's suggestion is the best one for you. If you can't see what's being posted, then you won't react to it and then the thread won't degenerate into craziness. While sometimes, I'll concede, comments are made that are purposely negative, there are times when people are genuinely trying to help you - I've tried a few times - and we just get slammed by you for criticising or being negative. It does make it a little hard to want to help you after a while.
There's a difference between purposely trying to stir up trouble (I.E. purposely negative comments), and making constructive criticism. And by constructive criticism, I meant - genuine criticism. When you throw in insults, jabs, and snarky little - tongue in cheek, sarcastic posts. You (and other folks) make it harder for me to take it as a real criticism. Which is why every time Sheldon and his cronies post in my thread(s) I get frustrated because it's the same garbage being spewed. And here's the thing: I've avoided Sheldon's, or any one of his little buddies' criticism threads - want to know why? Because I'm not going to help people who have treated me with such disrespect. I will not.
Hopefully you'll take that as it's meant and not as an attempt to hurt or abuse you in any way.
This time, you did it in a way that isn't overly abusive, or intentionally harming my reputation, etc. You and Shelley show some improvement in this thread, and I commend you both.

There's a difference between purposely trying to stir up trouble (I.E. purposely negative comments), and making constructive criticism. And by constructive criticism, I meant - genuine criticism. When you throw in insults, jabs, and snarky little - tongue in cheek, you (and other folks) make it harder for me to take it as a real criticism. Which is why every time Sheldon and his cronies post in my thread(s) I get frustrated because it's the same garbage being spewed. And here's the thing: I've avoided Sheldon's, or any one of his little buddies' criticism threads - want to know why? Because I'm not going to help people who have treated me with such disrespect. I will not.
Thing is, Carlos, I'm not throwing in insults and jabs - you just see it that way. I don't treat you any differently than I treat anyone else. Not until you go on the attack... or post things like
This time, you did it in a way that isn't overly abusive, or intentionally harming my reputation, etc. You and Shelley show some improvement in this thread, and I commend you both.
Because that is actually quite insulting to me - I haven't shown any improvement, I'm simply responding to you the way I always do.

But anyway, I have no interest in getting into an argument with you. I wish you well with your new forum.

Because that is actually quite insulting to me - I haven't shown any improvement, I'm simply responding to you the way I always do.
I'm not going to dig up old threads and do some witch hunts (unlike some folks), look.. I didn't intend to be insulting towards you or Shelley. For that, I am truely sorry. My point was that some citicism posts by you or someone else usually slide in comments that seem like a sarcastic jab, and the like. For example, that Windows 10 thread, when someone used my words against me in the middle of his post.
But anyway, I have no interest in getting into an argument with you. I wish you well with your new forum.
If only people would think this way. I would rest easily.

My point was that some citicism posts by you or someone else usually slide in comments that seem like a sarcastic jab
When I do it, you have to understand that I'm a sarcastic person - it's not personal to you, I do it to everyone and it's rarely meant personally.

If only people would think this way. I would rest easily.
My advice would be to simply rise above it. If you feel yourself getting wound up, step away for a little while and come back later.

The problem is twofold.

There is a small group of people who deliberately troll and goad Carlos.
We know who they are and action has been taken in the past.

Secondly, Carlos has shown time and again that he is incapable of dealing with the slightest criticism and his threads always descend into arguing and bickering and end up being closed because of it.

This thread is already way off topic so let this post be a final warning.
Any more related discussion may result in posts being deleted, warnings, and possible further action.

Now back to the thread.

@Carlos - there's a reason there aren't many business startup forums - people in business don't want to share the secrets of their success for free.

Business, by its very nature, is competitive - and people don't want to give others a free leg-up. You'd imagine they'd want to, right? Enhance their reputation by helping out the new little guys? Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. People want to make money from their ideas or advice, and anything they find that gives their company an edge is going to be kept to themselves. You'd have to be nuts to give away all the things that helped you beat the competition and make more money, right?

With the best will in the world, you aren't going to be able to advise everyone yourself as there will be too broad a scope of questions, so the real key to making your forum a success will be getting business advisors onboard who can help your new starters out with real, experienced advice and knowledge - perhaps in exchange for lots of promotion of their company or services on your site? Lawyers, accountants, marketing experts, etc. to cover all aspects of starting a business.

Equally, much like IT support forums, people are going to come for specific help and once they have the info they probably won't come back. This means you need to think about things outside of the forums that might attract visitors such as a business tips newsletter or some evergreen basic startup content like how to set-up a company, how to look for finance, how to ... you get the idea.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Last edited:
Perhaps you could at least finish the design before showcasing your forum, all comments right now are on a very unfinished forum and therefore useless to you. It's best to showcase your forum when it's ready for the public. Just a thought.
Yeah, it's been noted. I just wanted to get the showcase thread out of the way so I can finish that "to do" list. Also, at the same time, it takes a long time for google and other search engines to do their thing. And then, at the same time, I wanted feedback on what I should do, like this one...
@Carlos - there's a reason there aren't many business startup forums - people in business don't want to share the secrets of their success for free.

Business, by its very nature, is competitive - and people don't want to give others a free leg-up. You'd imagine they'd want to, right? Enhance their reputation by helping out the new little guys? Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. People want to make money from their ideas or advice, and anything they find that gives their company an edge is going to be kept to themselves. You'd have to be nuts to give away all the things that helped you beat the competition and make more money, right?

With the best will in the world, you aren't going to be able to advise everyone yourself as there will be too broad a scope of questions, so the real key to making your forum a success will be getting business advisors onboard who can help your new starters out with real, experienced advice and knowledge - perhaps in exchange for lots of promotion of their company or services on your site? Lawyers, accountants, marketing experts, etc. to cover all aspects of starting a business.

Equally, much like IT support forums, people are going to come for specific help and once they have the info they probably won't come back. This means you need to think about things outside of the forums that might attract visitors such as a business tips newsletter or some evergreen basic startup content like how to set-up a company, how to look for finance, how to ... you get the idea.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
THAT, people - THAT, right there is what I am looking for! I just need to pinpoint the right moves, and the right direction, and this post keeps me focus like an arrow to a dot.

That's how you do a criticism post. THAT'S how you do it!

Top Bottom