Starts and stops to various attempts at article and CMS add-ons?

The formatting is just done in a template the programmer creates for you. You can change the template even yourself in ACP. If you cut down on your requirements as you did, it can be a very easy job.

As for a two column page, you can use inline <div> tags with "50%" width. It's an html thing.

Its time consuming for a dev to let you change, add categories. If you have just fixed 8 categories, tell the dev. If you want to add / change them later, he has to program more (which can be a good investment on your side). It's the simple stuff like this, that is really time consuming.

As for 7, as long as I can use the specific forum name that the post was promoted from as the category, I'd be a mega happy camper.

This is even much more easy, then you only have to have a small "promote this thread to article" link added to each thread page for the admin. On the CMS page, the script fetches the forum name and displays it next to the threads. Users can click on "xenforo announcement forum" and then they are redirected to /home/forum23 where all cms articles from forum23 are displayed.

You see, the fewer requirements you have, the easier and cheaper (and maybe even much better!!!) your product will be.

Marcus,

Are you trying to say this entire thing can be built in half a day?
For me the job is this:

- add mysql table "cms" with row thread_id
1. add overlay "promote/demote" link to /threads/ pages on usergroup=admin
2. add /cms/ route with forumid as parameter, and /threads/promotecms route
3. add /cms/ controller which fetches all thread titles along with first post [if no forum_id is set, all posts, else with restriction to forum_id]
4. create template "cms" that outputs the content from point 3

There are no ACP options (you can toggle the product on/off at main page in ACP. Only one added template. No added queries to any given /threads/ page. Just one query on the /cms/ route. I have not invested any time or thinking into this, but I guess this more or less nails it. This is done without pagination stuff and so, with this, of course it gets more complicated - and much more useful. I would pay more and let the dev work some more days if it was me. But hey - if you want a very basic cms, its not utopic.

This is a very powerful CMS as you can sell this CMS to every forum owner here on xenforo. I guess lots of people would like to have that, me included :)

I don't know if what I want fits here but here goes.
I have 6 Categories. Each has a theme colour . Also a title picture which is done by CSS in my own title container also CSS.
I want 5 of these title containers to appear on the front page with the same picture and title background colour as appears on the Category page. One Cat is subject to permissions and is excluded.
The text content is the first X words of the latest post in that category. Link Read more ... to that thread. Another link opens the category (under the title pic, not shown)
The 6th box is an include from a template I edit.

Mockup
Mockup cms.webp

For me the job is this:

- add mysql table "cms" with row thread_id
1. add overlay "promote/demote" link to /threads/ pages on usergroup=admin
2. add /cms/ route with forumid as parameter, and /threads/promotecms route
3. add /cms/ controller which fetches all thread titles along with first post [if no forum_id is set, all posts, else with restriction to forum_id]
4. create template "cms" that outputs the content from point 3

There are no ACP options (you can toggle the product on/off at main page in ACP. Only one added template. No added queries to any given /threads/ page. Just one query on the /cms/ route. I have not invested any time or thinking into this, but I guess this more or less nails it. This is done without pagination stuff and so, with this, of course it gets more complicated - and much more useful. I would pay more and let the dev work some more days if it was me. But hey - if you want a very basic cms, its not utopic.

This is a very powerful CMS as you can sell this CMS to every forum owner here on xenforo. I guess lots of people would like to have that, me included :)
That's what http://xenforo.com/community/threads/content-management-framework.45066/page-4#post-486035 will do

The formatting is just done in a template the programmer creates for you. You can change the template even yourself in ACP. If you cut down on your requirements as you did, it can be a very easy job.

As for a two column page, you can use inline <div> tags with "50%" width. It's an html thing.

Its time consuming for a dev to let you change, add categories. If you have just fixed 8 categories, tell the dev. If you want to add / change them later, he has to program more (which can be a good investment on your side). It's the simple stuff like this, that is really time consuming.

I would need to be able to add categories. :(

This is a great step forward Jon and I'm sure you can get additions via your own secondary addon. That's how CMF is designed to work, with extras, as far as I can see.

This is a great step forward Jon and I'm sure you can get additions via your own secondary addon. That's how CMF is designed to work, with extras, as far as I can see.

Well I am already sent messages to some developers and have started talking to a couple. It is not fair to rip the rug out from under them.

I have waited on products built for the masses before when people told me it would do everything I wanted and then 2 of the things will not be there.

I know what I want it to do but I think I probably don't articulate it well and might miss some detail.

Basically I want to the things that vBCMS did but maybe as less of a resource hog.

Top Bottom