Starting a New Forum Website

TheFoxRocks

Hey guys and gals,

I was hoping this community could help me. I have been reading on here a little to try and figure things out and understand that some things have recently changed with the XenForo platform if I understand correctly. I am nearly new to website design and the only way I can accomplish it is with software that helps you do so. I took some Dreamweaver and it is just not something I wanted to invest a lot of time learning. That brings me to my first question.

If it helps I would love my website to be similar to www.lawnsite.com for reference.

1.) If I reserve my own website with a domain provider can I simply implement the XenForo software/client over my website or do I need to lease my website at XenForo? I have no clue how this works.

2.) I am making this community because I and others see a need for it. However, with time I hope that I will be able to generate ad revenue and I heard that using XenForo has big advantages in this category. Is this true?

3.) I guess my final question is whether or not this is something that one person with limited knowledge will be able to figure out? Like most websites I plan to appoint moderators and such to help out but I guess a lot of the work will come from me using the software.

4.) Also I would like to know about cost, I did a little research and saw the plans seem to start at $60.00 a month. I saw there is also free software available as well. So could I start out with the free software and achieve what I want and if I begin to get more traffic or expand will I be able to easily transition?

You guys do not need to answer every question. It would be great if you knew something about a particular topic and shed some light on it for me. I appreciate any aid in advance.

PatriotGB

Not sure where you are getting those suggestions that the pendulum is swinging back to forums. Or that FB is losing membership and traffic in droves, but none of that is simply true. Please back up your claims beyond opinion.
<<<Facebook’s total number of users has declined — a first for the social media platform that has experienced seemingly never-ending growth since it debuted 17 years ago.

Facebook lost about half a million global daily users in the fourth quarter of 2021 compared to the previous quarter, according to the quarterly earnings report of Meta, its parent company.>>>

It's easy enough to do a Google search: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=facebook+membership+dropping

And, of course, most importantly.... They lost me! :) I haven't posted on my FB profile page or read the feed for 1-1/2 years now. I left over 700 friends and family behind. Why? Because FB is now an admitted government agent engaged in censorship, which takes them into the territory of Constitutional infringement.

Your mileage may vary.

whitetigergrowl

<<<Facebook’s total number of users has declined — a first for the social media platform that has experienced seemingly never-ending growth since it debuted 17 years ago.

Facebook lost about half a million global daily users in the fourth quarter of 2021 compared to the previous quarter, according to the quarterly earnings report of Meta, its parent company.>>>

It's easy enough to do a Google search: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=facebook+membership+dropping

And, of course, most importantly.... They lost me! :) I haven't posted on my FB profile page or read the feed for 1-1/2 years now. I left over 700 friends and family behind. Why? Because FB is now an admitted government agent engaged in censorship, which takes them into the territory of Constitutional infringement.

Your mileage may vary.

Again, you really need to get up to date with your facts. You seem selective about what you want to share. You seem to love sharing old news like it's somehow recent or new news to try and push a belief or agenda.

Even if tomorrow numbers went down again, it doesn't mean they will stay that way. You can still be gaining in popularity even if numbers temporarily go down. Now if it was a downward trend for months and years, ok. But this was nothing like that.

And they really don't care if they lost you. Over 99.999% of the people on there don't either because they don't know you. You leaving has had zero material impact on them or others coming or going or their popularity or economic gain/loss. Period.

PatriotGB

Again, you really need to get up to date with your facts. You seem selective about what you want to share. You seem to love sharing old news like it's somehow recent or new news to try and push a belief or agenda.

Even if tomorrow numbers went down again, it doesn't mean they will stay that way. You can still be gaining in popularity even if numbers temporarily go down. Now if it was a downward trend for months and years, ok. But this was nothing like that.

And they really don't care if they lost you. Over 99.999% of the people on there don't either because they don't know you. You leaving has had zero material impact on them or others coming or going or their popularity or economic gain/loss. Period.

Got stock in Facebook, do ya? 🤪

Oh, I'm pretty sure my name came up at their last board meeting... "Oh no! PatriotGB stopped posting and reading the FB feed. Crap! We need to change course and repent for our errant ways! We can win him back! We MUST win him back!"

Yep... I'm almost positive that's what happened. :giggle:

Martyn

Hey guys and gals,

I was hoping this community could help me. I have been reading on here a little to try and figure things out and understand that some things have recently changed with the XenForo platform if I understand correctly. I am nearly new to website design and the only way I can accomplish it is with software that helps you do so. I took some Dreamweaver and it is just not something I wanted to invest a lot of time learning. That brings me to my first question.

If it helps I would love my website to be similar to www.lawnsite.com for reference.

1.) If I reserve my own website with a domain provider can I simply implement the XenForo software/client over my website or do I need to lease my website at XenForo? I have no clue how this works.

2.) I am making this community because I and others see a need for it. However, with time I hope that I will be able to generate ad revenue and I heard that using XenForo has big advantages in this category. Is this true?

3.) I guess my final question is whether or not this is something that one person with limited knowledge will be able to figure out? Like most websites I plan to appoint moderators and such to help out but I guess a lot of the work will come from me using the software.

4.) Also I would like to know about cost, I did a little research and saw the plans seem to start at $60.00 a month. I saw there is also free software available as well. So could I start out with the free software and achieve what I want and if I begin to get more traffic or expand will I be able to easily transition?

You guys do not need to answer every question. It would be great if you knew something about a particular topic and shed some light on it for me. I appreciate any aid in advance.
1) Yes, its very easy, setup a database base, upload the files, add the info to the setup, sorted!
2) xenforo has easy template editing, but we use siropu's ads manager good for selling ad space also
3) We've all started out just 1 person trying this stuff, its easily manageable, and with time your find some mods/staff to help you manage it a lot the way. google/ask questions if you get stuck, I do it constantly, I have an idea I want to do and search roughly what I want to do, if it can be done I simple ask. the Xenforo community/staff are extremely friendly.
4) costs is $160 and yearly renewal at $55 ( we don't renew often, unless there's an important update/major revision change, you can play around on the demo, https://xenforo.com/demo/

First I'd go find a domain you want, that's probably the hardest part. it is limited and it's hard to find catchy/unique ones, but if you find one grab it, you can get them from anywhere from $1-$10 depending on the extension, just be careful of premium domains as they'll cost a fair bit!

Give me a shout if you need some hosting space to test around with, more than happy to supply something for you while your testing stuff :)

whitetigergrowl

Got stock in Facebook, do ya? 🤪

Oh, I'm pretty sure my name came up at their last board meeting... "Oh no! PatriotGB stopped posting and reading the FB feed. Crap! We need to change course and repent for our errant ways! We can win him back! We MUST win him back!"

Yep... I'm almost positive that's what happened. :giggle:

So that's your comeback because you couldn't debate the facts of what I shared that were more recent and shot yours down? Sad.