Starting a Forum in 2016 Is A Real Grind....

I started my big forum about 5 years ago. As of today, we are nearing 8,000 members but it got that way when I bought out my competition. Now I am the competition. I'd imagine ad revenue could be pretty nice but I keep it ad free so I'll never know :) If you can do it, buy your competition and merge but make sure you keep your forum interesting to keep converted members at bay :)

Not to hijack the thread, but how on earth to you pay for running the servers without ad revenue? Are you paying out of pocket? Why would you spend the money to buy your competition if you have no chance for ROI?

I started my big forum about 5 years ago. As of today, we are nearing 8,000 members but it got that way when I bought out my competition. Now I am the competition. I'd imagine ad revenue could be pretty nice but I keep it ad free so I'll never know :) If you can do it, buy your competition and merge but make sure you keep your forum interesting to keep converted members at bay :)

How and where are you approaching this forums, can you give some example of what you would bring up to the table when offering them $$? What are the questions you ask? How would you make the transaction without risks?

When trying to get my site started, one obstacle I have ran into is losing active members. I am hoping that when I have a few more articles, that will give people more of a reason to join.

Top Bottom