Lack of interest Starters - add icon on thread lists and/or add as New search

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Morgain

Finding what is genuinely New is surprisingly difficult. That is Starters, or new Resources.
The only way is to check New Threads or the Recent list.

But this requires plodding through a mass of other, updated threads on these lists, most of which is clutter to any one user perception. Threads which are of no relevance turn up over and over again as clutter, over weeks, months even years.
The number of replies is not always a good indicator as some starters gather replies extremely fast.
Sometimes I just want to run a quick check - any new Starters? Not available to me.
Sometimes I want my Watched updates AND Starters. Only occasionally do I need Watched alone, if I'm looking for a specific thread.
Possibly a link on Watched to see Watched PLUS Starters?

Could I suggest two possible helpful options, preferably both to be added.

1. Similar to the current star icon on Watched, a red alert New! icon on a new Starter thread.
2. Using the new tabs system on New searches, a Starters tab showing only genuinely new content, not updates.

Maybe a link on both Watched and Starters pages to get a combination of the two? This would be a powerful clean list, but not sure about adding another tab.

Yes it could all be done with edits or an addon but the main place I feel the need is HERE. Or on any bigger board.

Maybe this belongs in bigger suggestions?

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Finding what is genuinely New is surprisingly difficult. That is Starters, or new Resources.
The only way is to check New Threads or the Recent list.

But this requires plodding through a mass of other, updated threads on these lists, most of which is clutter to any one user perception. Threads which are of no relevance turn up over and over again as clutter, over weeks, months even years.
The number of replies is not always a good indicator as some starters gather replies extremely fast.
Sometimes I just want to run a quick check - any new Starters? Not available to me.
Sometimes I want my Watched updates AND Starters. Only occasionally do I need Watched alone, if I'm looking for a specific thread.
Possibly a link on Watched to see Watched PLUS Starters?

Could I suggest two possible helpful options, preferably both to be added.
1. Similar to the current star icon on Watched, a red alert New! icon on a new Starter thread.
2. Using the new tabs system on New searches, a Starters tab showing only genuinely new content, not updates.

Maybe a link on both Watched and Starters pages to get a combination of the two? This would be a powerful clean list, but not sure about adding another tab.

Yes it could all be done with edits or an addon but the main place I feel the need is HERE. Or on any bigger board.

Maybe this belongs in bigger suggestions?

Like so in the screenshot where the red indicators would indicate a brand new thread? (ignore the thread count there were no new threads at the time of taking screenshot)

Edit: actually completely ignore this post I think I misunderstood the area your referring to and got mixed up with another post of yours.

new-threads.webp

Last edited:
@Shelley yes. So on either of the New searches - New Threads or Recent Threads - there would be an icon for Watched [eye] as now on 1.2 except I'm not a fan of the confusing star; and another for New Starters [Red New!]

Easy enough to do with a template edit on my own sites, but that doesn't bring it over here where much needed.

@Shelley yes. So on either of the New searches - New Threads or Recent Threads - there would be an icon for Watched [eye] as now on 1.2 except I'm not a fan of the confusing star; and another for New Starters [Red New!]

Easy enough to do with a template edit on my own sites, but that doesn't bring it over here where much needed.

Okay, I think indicators would still have you wading through threads and posts and possibly clutter things up. I think Tabs would work better for this imo where new threads would be Brand new threads, and new posts would be new posts posted within that thread. I'm personally fine with the way it is now I just pick the thread i want to go into but more thinking tabs would be a alternate solution if this is being considered.

newthreads-part2.webp

"New threads" is now established as a name. It would confuse people to change what it means.
Personally I'd prefer What's New? as the main default as before, for the combination of new threads and updates, and make New Threads the new starters search.

But now New Threads is the combination of new threads and updates it's difficult to see how to make it make sense. New Posts suggests to me ALL new posts - starters + updates.
Thats why I used the name Starters. Not ideal - New Starters is 100% clear but lengthy for labels, tabs, links, mentioning it in content (guides etc.)

"New threads" is now established as a name. It would confuse people to change what it means.
Personally I'd prefer What's New? as the main default as before, for the combination of new threads and updates, and make New Threads the new starters search.

But now New Threads is the combination of new threads and updates it's difficult to see how to make it make sense. New Posts suggests to me ALL new posts - starters + updates.
Thats why I used the name Starters. Not ideal - New Starters is 100% clear but lengthy for labels, tabs, links, mentioning it in content (guides etc.)

Yup, I would have to agree the mockup i did would be confusing somewhat because of the new term.

I'm warming up to the idea of New threads and new posts so I might ask my dev if he could build on such an add-on I mocked up (above) And probably retain the term "what's new". The other layout i was thinking of was a dual column layout where left is new posts within threads and new threads on the right but I think I prefer the tab solution.

I like the idea of tabs on this page hands down.

Since the term is moving from "What's New" to "New Threads" (even though the page itself was always called New Threads), I propose changing it to "New Content".

Within new content, you default to tab #1 - a combination of new threads AND updates to existing threads.

Tab #2 would perhaps just be Newly started threads/unanswered as stated above.

Tab #3 would be Recent Activity (which includes status updates, likes, etc.) - removing the need to have this link under "Members".

Tab #4 could be "Watched" stuff or something.

Additional tabs could be for add-ons, such as digitalpoint's Spy and Chris Deeming's gallery?

I like the idea of tabs on this page hands down.

Since the term is moving from "What's New" to "New Threads" (even though the page itself was always called New Threads), I propose changing it to "New Content".

Within new content, you default to tab #1 - a combination of new threads AND updates to existing threads.

Tab #2 would perhaps just be Newly started threads/unanswered as stated above.

Tab #3 would be Recent Activity (which includes status updates, likes, etc.) - removing the need to have this link under "Members".

Tab #4 could be "Watched" stuff or something.

Additional tabs could be for add-ons, such as digitalpoint's Spy and Chris Deeming's gallery?

Yeah, this would be excellent for retaining some order but it all hinges on the the term "new Threads" being changed and i can't see that happening but liking this more and more. Would definitely be useful I have to say.

Yes the change to New Threads is definitely confusing. Also "What's New" had carved a strong loyalty / affection base. People dont like something like that changing unless the advantage is very obvious.

@Alien I like New Content. It's a way to get back to the feel of Whats New and drop the confusing New Threads.

I think ultimately it might be best to have a New Content manager section in admin where you select which searches you want to include.
Then we could have the whole lot, including things currently under various tabs, with the default as Recent. (I mean the one that shows all recent threads,not the one with Likes, profile posts.)

Admin could then try adding one or two at a time and look for feedback.
Or it may be obvious to them in terms of their community which ones would suit.

I just really really want direct immediate access to Starters (genuinely new stuff).

The nav tab has just had the phrase changed.

The tabbed content is from @Chris Deeming's media gallery, but it could be done for any content such as new profile posts, etc.

Ah I see. I knew about the phrase but it makes sense now add-ons such as gallery would need to add this in. I'm liking it anyway, I'm quite sure this could be useful for such things like showcase. Nice work @Chris Deeming

Yeah I hacked this function in to my gallery add-on with a view to making it simply work for my gallery add-on.

In 1.2, Mike has a few functions that very simply allow any add-on developer to add their own tabs. I'll be changing my code to use those functions eventually instead of my custom code and I'd strongly recommend people like @bobster65 adding it into add-ons like Showcase.

One thought occurs to me, however, @Mike. Is there any way to disable certain tabs? Such as a class added to each tab that could be used as a selector to display: none; or similar? Might be useful if not.

Well we have the cute spectacles icon for Watched threads; and we have the New "New Posts" name.
Wonder if we'll get a NEW! icon now?

I'll go all out here and say I hope not... that just adds a bit too much clutter for me.
Azhria it wouldn't be that many per page. Personally I get maybe 2 or 3 specatacles per page and there might be 1 or 2 , or 3 brand new threads.
Range of marked threads on "New Posts" therefore likely to be 2 - 6.

Azhria it wouldn't be that many per page. Personally I get maybe 2 or 3 specatacles per page and there might be 1 or 2 , or 3 brand new threads.
Range of marked threads on "New Posts" therefore likely to be 2 - 6.

It's not so much the amount per page, but the amount of things per row.

Ok but once I look at a thread and Watch it, it will display Spectacles, not NEW!
So the row will only have one icon in that position.
Did I understand what you meant?

I know exactly what you mean, I still stand by my comment... (you'll note I've said nothing about my opinion of the watched threads either ;) )

Top Bottom