Implemented Start Conversation LINK in User-Profile-page ?

erich37

currently it is only possible to click onto "Start Conversation" at the Member-Card of a certain user.

The Link for "Start Conversation" with a certain user should also be build somewhere into the User-Profile-page.

well, you are showing the homepage, age, gender and some other stuff at the User-Profile-page.
Why not also show the Link for "Start Conversation" ???

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I am thinking of the left sidebar, where you currently see this:

Birthday:
November 2
Home page:
http://kierdarby.com
XenForo Developer

The users main profile page has no obvious way to start a conversation with the person, so if a person clicks the members list, then goes to the person profile page, they are often tempted to post directly into the person's public profile thinking its the pm system.

I'd suggest adding a "Start a conversation with <user name>" link to the main profile page and possibly adding a warning on the post option on the profile page, something like "your are posting onto the users public profile page, the contents of this post will be visible to all users".

Like this?
test.webp

This can be done by changing (in member_view)
Code:
<input type="submit" class="button primary" value="{xen:phrase post}" accesskey="s" />

to

Code:
<input type="submit" class="button primary" value="{xen:phrase post}" accesskey="s" /> or <a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add', '', 'to={$user.username}'}">{xen:phrase start_conversation}</a>

It's in the information tab. Okay, it requires one click to get to it but it's there nonetheless.

I see your point. But from my point of view XF is new software that most people will be unfamiliar with and its all about the end-user for me. If you were looking to PM someone would you assume you could do it from their profile or that you had to click information to do so? I would even suggest to remove the link from information tab and put the button(mentioned mod in first post) on the profile page if its feasible. Some other people wanted it, i was just the one who requested it ;)

I see your point. But from my point of view XF is new software that most people will be unfamiliar with and its all about the end-user for me. If you were looking to PM someone would you assume you could do it from their profile or that you had to click information to do so? I would even suggest to remove the link from information tab and put the button(mentioned mod in first post) on the profile page if its feasible. Some other people wanted it, i was just the one who requested it ;)

I'm betting that it won't be removed from the information area because there are other contacts (skype, msn, yahoo etc) that are in there which I feel the start conversation fits perfectly well.

For me, It was the obvious choice to venture in there and find the start conversation. For me as well as easy navigation, consistency must play a part. I'm assuming you want the "start conversation" in the same place as the add-on (template mod)?. For me, a contact element in amongst the forum data block is inconsistent. That would be my biggest gripe with it as it's a "contact function" not statistical data.

Unless you had another idea where you wanted it to be placed?

Just my opinion on the matter, I thought I'd throw my reasons why I think it fits perfectly where it currently resides.

You could always have a "Interact block" under the "about us" block that resides on the left hand side. I see the about us information has it's own block, and for consistency maybe an interact block? I dunno, just throwing a suggestion.

You could always have a "Interact block" under the "about us" block that resides on the left hand side. I see the about us information has it's own block, and for consistency maybe an interact block? I dunno, just throwing a suggestion.

To be honest I struggled to find the start a conversation button the other day, took me a minute or two
redface.png
. Youre probably right that it wont be implemented, I got the addon either way so not a real issue.

The interact blog is a very nice idea, that is definatley more appropriate. Could have other methods of contact in there, I assume thats what you mean?

Hopefully some other people can add their input?? Thanks for yours Shelley, much appreciated.

Just a thought, what about a tab like the information tab? So then theres a tab where you start typing straight away and just click send.

To be honest I struggled to find the start a conversation button the other day, took me a minute or two:oops: . Youre probably right that it wont be implemented, I got the addon either way so not a real issue.

The interact blog is a very nice idea, that is definatley more appropriate. Could have other methods of contact in there, I assume thats what you mean?

Hopefully some other people can add their input?? Thanks for yours Shelley, much appreciated.

I didn't mean that it wouldn't be implemented. Just that it wouldn't be removed from it's current location. It may get added somewhere in the profile (landing page). I feel it's well worth exploring the idea further. :)

If you were looking to PM someone would you assume you could do it from their profile or that you had to click information to do so?

Well... in XenForo you can just do it from the MemberCard, so you don't even need to go to the profile (the whole purpose of the MemberCard in the first place :)) to do it. So basically I have not much of a problem with it.

But... looking at this example:

I agree it can take a little time to locate the "Start a Conversation" link on a profile, especially if there is a lot of content in their Information tab; http://xenforo.com/community/members/kier.2/

... I agree that in those circumstances it is not quite that clear that beneath the 'About' information area there's an 'Interact' section, so regardless of the Membercard I decided to 'like' this suggestion, because for people who are already inside the Profile and want to PC a member from there it might save them from a little searching. In relation to this: it actually also took me quite a while to discover that the function to 'Find all Threads by User' was also present there in XenForo. I use this function quite a lot.

This brings me to the question: what is more important and more often used information/functionality? Is it the signature that is presented first at the top of the screen when you look at the [Information]-tab or is the 'Interact' section that is displayed at the bottom of the screen? Well... I never look at the signature. Once you've seen it in the forums, you've seen it? For me it is much more important to be able to contact the member in an easy way than to look at the signature inside a profile. On the other hand... when you use paid Advertisement's inside a signature (which I do), then it is actually very beneficial that the signature is presented there first. Maybe a new dedicated [Interact] tab would solve all 'issues'?.

Top Bottom