Implemented Spoiler BBCode

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Liked it, and posting for emphasis. :) Highlight to read or click to open - I prefer the latter, because it doubles as a way to stash huge chunks of text, but either way it's a necessity. I don't mind making my own but it would be nice to have it built in.

If we're talking hiding the contents of spoiler from searches/notifications etc. then sure I'm up for it. If you mean just a piece of code to hide the text until a button is clicked then it's not worth it and an add-on would be more suitable.

A "Spoiler" can be a add-on if required but never in core.
Why should a straightforward, 1-line replacement BBCode be an add-on?

BBCodes that are included in the base product receive wide adoption because people can use them on every forum they visit. BBCodes that are proprietary to a certain forum never get widespread adoption. Look at the chaos of having [s] [strikethru] [strike] on all different forums. It rarely got used.

Doctor said:
Not every forum needs a spoiler.

An add-on would be better rather than in core.
Why? Why shouldn't XenForo ship with 20-30 BBCodes if they result in no increase in overhead or decrease in performance? XenForo is about stepping back and looking at how people use forums. BBCodes are a great contributor to usability and they have great bang-for-the-buck.

Imagine a relative time BBCode that takes a GMT time/date and adjusts it according to the user's time zone. Great for upcoming events. For instance:

Next week, tune in at [timedate]02:00:00 2010/09/14[/timedate] to catch the Euro Beats program.

Next week, tune in at 8:30pm on September 13, 2010 to catch the Euro Beats program.
This event is scheduled for 2:00am GMT on September 14, 2010.
Your time zone was detected as Eastern Daylight Time.
If this time zone information is not correct, you may change it here.

How about this: a page on the customer forum that gives you the code you need to add spoiler bbcode, strikethrough bbcode, and so on so that you don't mess up the lovely speediness of your forum by using some clunky homemade piece of code that may not be the best choice.

It's not so much that I need it built-in, as it is that I'm not a coder and it would be nice if I didn't have to jerry-rig something together from what I can find in a Google search for Bbcodes.

Why? Why shouldn't XenForo ship with 20-30 BBCodes if they result in no increase in overhead or decrease in performance?

Even if they don't decrease performance, I wouldn't want my forum having 30 BBCodes installed when only say 10 were actually used. It just clutters the place up.

Maybe if there was an option to enable/disable then yeah have them included in the core but then I would still prefer to just add the ones I need as and when I need them.

I created another thread a few weeks ago asking for the ability to create and add custom BBCode to the WYSIWYG editor but I would also like so see a lot more codes included as standard.

Maybe not quite as many as this though :D

tiny_MCE.webp

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php

Incidentally, this is what I use for spoilers on my site. Unfortunately you can't use apostrophes in the button but other than that it works great.

Code:
<div class="spoiler"><div class="quotetitle"><input type="button" value="{TEXT1}" style="font-size:11px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = '';        this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = '{TEXT1}'; }" /></div><div class="quotecontent"><div style="display: none;">{TEXT2}</div></div></div>

I'm overwhelmed by the positive response to this thread. This spoiler BBCode in question, I think would be useful in most communities, if not only for movies and books and games, for entertainment of the users, which is equal in importance or more.

Even if they don't decrease performance, I wouldn't want my forum having 30 BBCodes installed when only say 10 were actually used. It just clutters the place up.
Brogan's example, with dozens of extra buttons in the toolbar is not what I had in mind, and I can see how it would make for a cluttered toolbar.

I thought of having several BBCodes built-in which do not have toolbar buttons, but are there if users discover them. I leave it up to Kier and Mike whether they want to have create icons for every BBCode they add, even if some are disabled by default to minimize clutter. :)

Top Bottom