Splitting posts in thread by date

Mouth

I have a few long running threads, that I'd like to split posts by date (range) into new thread(s).
Is there a way to search/filter posts in a thread, based on date?

Reactions: Sim
There wouldn't be a way to do that built in. You'd have to use the inline moderation tools. Effectively, you'd need to manually select the posts after that date. Note that on pages where you're moving everything, you can choose the "select all" option in the inline mod overlay so that should minimize the amount of clicking involved.

I have a 650 page (13k posts) thread over 8 years. Even page by page would be manually time consuming. A few similiar that I'd like to action too.
Is there any issues with using sql on xf_post, changing thread_id, then rebuilding thread information?
Eg, something like ....
Code:
UPDATE xf_post
SET thread_id = <appropriate existing thread id #>
WHERE thread_id = <current thread id #>
AND post_date BETWEEN UNIX_TIMESTAMP('2017-01-01 00:00:00') AND UNIX_TIMESTAMP()

I have a 650 page (13k posts) thread over 8 years. Even page by page would be manually time consuming. A few similiar that I'd like to action too.
Is there any issues with using sql on xf_post, changing thread_id, then rebuilding thread information?
Eg, something like ....
Code:
UPDATE xf_post
SET thread_id = <appropriate existing thread id #>
WHERE thread_id = <current thread id #>
AND post_date BETWEEN UNIX_TIMESTAMP('2017-01-01 00:00:00') AND UNIX_TIMESTAMP()

@Mouth did you end up doing this?

I was just tackling this myself with a 10k post thread (only 2.5 years for this one!!), was thinking it would be really handy to be able to split a thread by time period. Most very long threads I've been splitting by year, but this one has such a high post volume, it might be more useful to have even smaller split periods.

It may also be useful to be able to create a first post placeholder for each new thread so you can assign the "thread starter" to the same person who started the original thread (to help sooth the damaged egos from losing their very long thread!).

Top Bottom