speed up Mac os x

majdi

lately my imac have become slow and it freezes from time to time (on rare occasion)
when i used windows, i used to simply format my hard drive and reinstall windows to make my computer work fast.
would that work for mac os? if not how can i optimize it?

lately my imac have become slow and it freezes from time to time (on rare occasion)
when i used windows, i used to simply format my hard drive and reinstall windows to make my computer work fast.
sounds like something is dying. time to take it into the apple store? :p

Sounds like a hardware problem, unlike when it's Windows ;)

6 year old powerbook is running as snappy as day 1, just slows down with some more modern solutions as they require more from teh cpu/ram/hdd

I recently formatted and reinstalled my Macbook Pro. There is a slight improvement in speed, but not much. Unlike Windows, OS X has a separate system/data partition and automatically stores data efficiently. You might want to run iAntiVirus & ClamXav and uninstall apps you're not using anymore. Cleaning internet cache and old emails might also help.

Try repairing your disk permissions from Disk Utility, If it is happening during internet browsing then install Chrome

You might want to run iAntiVirus & ClamXav

Not having a dig, but I am rather curious as to why you would use more resources for something that is not needed

Not having a dig, but I am rather curious as to why you would use more resources for something that is not needed
iAntiVirus takes about 6,5 MB of memory, this is not noticeable. ClamXav does not run in the background. Unlike popular belief, Macs are not completely immune to viruses.

iAntiVirus takes about 6,5 MB of memory, this is not noticeable. ClamXav does not run in the background. Unlike popular belief, Macs are not completely immune to viruses.

Thanks, obviously I have never looked in to it and I suppose it would be a good idea if they scanned for windows viruses to prevent cross contamination.

Top Bottom