XF 2.0 Spamming the contact us form

Booth

I'm getting a few emails per day via the contact us form, all .ru accounts. They are managing to circumvent the captcha.

I've got all .ru accounts banned in my admin area but still these emails keep coming. Does the ban list not affect the contact us form?

You might like this addon,

And no, the banned emails are not prevented from using the contact us form.

Thanks I'll have a look.

You can turn off contuct us for the unregistered groups.
I need none members to be able to contact us if necessary. I think I'll add that plug-in, but it is a shame that by default, the same rules for registration don't apply to the contact form.

I'm finding that the same bots that are being blocked from registering are the same spamming the contact us form.

but it is a shame that by default, the same rules for registration don't apply to the contact form.

There is a open suggestion for that,

My (free) "Contact Us Threads" add-on implements a banned email list for the contact us form. With the option to silently discard contact us form entries if they are in the list (ie shadow banned).

Hmmm... any way to import the regular banned email list into that list?

Answering my own question, yes. Go to the regular banned email list and export.

Then go to the banned emails (contact) list and import what you just exported.

Reactions: Xon
I've done this too, thanks for the suggestion. The issue is that when people click Contact Us, it opens the contact form on the same page, it doesn't go to that URL. Therefore, users don't see the captcha unless they actually navigate to misc/contact.
Must be a custom theme, because mine doesn't do this

I think what he's referring to is it opens in in an overlay?
The only time I know it will do that is if you choose custom URL and then open in overlay in the default setup.
Otherwise, it should be using the default contact URL, unless the style has a special setting or a 3rd party add-on is being used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom