1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spammers registering then reporting you as spammer

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by vbuser, May 19, 2015.

1. vbuser

vbuser Active Member

I've had this happen a couple times and find it ironic. Spammers from India are registering on my forum then reporting the confirmation email as spam.

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Oh, the irony.
    vbuser likes this.
  3. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

I would suspect them to be a rival, enemy, ex-member, etc...
    ...or they are simply using someone else's email address to register in the hope that the confirmation is not necessary.
    vbuser likes this.
  4. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons why I finally turned off email confirmations for registration. I went through a period of this type of behavior and it took me ages to finally get the site cleared off the blacklists. It's also why I don't send birthday notices any more.
    AzzidReign and Zynektic like this.
  5. Zynektic

Zynektic Well-Known Member

We have this turned off too, with the proper spam protections we have anything dodgy flagged as spam and ban them before it goes onto the official board too.
  6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Is this not the purpose of these spammers?
  7. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

If your spammers come from different countries than your main audience, you could just block that country or ASN. I've been doing this using TPU's antispam addon and it works wonderfully. Once they hit the brick wall a couple of times, they give up and go elsewhere, looking for a softer target. Then you can allow registrations from that country or ASN again.

Spammers are such scum. If, as Alfa1 suggests, they are doing this so to manipulate you so that you turn off confirmation emails, that only makes things easier for them and may harm you in the long run. Plus, it'd be a shame to give them the win.
  8. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

Fred. likes this.
  9. Fred.

Fred. Well-Known Member

That's the reason why I switched to Mandrill. I really like it now. :cool:
  10. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Why on gods earth would you ever disable email confirmation? Just use a third party service. If your email is excessive, then use Amazon as it's the cheapest on the market with highest quality service as expensive services.

Amazon are $0.10 per 1,000 emails. 30k emails a month is going to cost you $3... and if your forum is sending 30k of confirmations and user watched content, then $3 a month is a drop in the bucket agains the revenue the site would generate.
  11. Zynektic

Zynektic Well-Known Member

Mine is disabled because I block throw away email accounts (and more added as I find them), any user is flagged and rejected automatically via several checks such as IP, Email, Names and other things so I have no need to have it confirmed.

I know several boards which also do not have it as confirmed and have no issue with spam either.

Also I have registered on some boards who use Mandrill and even then, when I use my live.co.uk or gmail.com address, it sometimes has a long delay on receiving the confirmation when these providers have issues so it makes no difference if Mandrill etc sends it instantly.
  12. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Because they are superfluous, provide little value, and are only restrictive to a good user signup experience.
    If their email addresses are incorrect, automated bounce handling means you catch them quite quick.

Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 23.12.20.png

Guess when I turned off email confirmations for registrations :)
    ForestForTrees, Biker and Zynektic like this.