Spammers registering then reporting you as spammer

vbuser

I've had this happen a couple times and find it ironic. Spammers from India are registering on my forum then reporting the confirmation email as spam.

spam.png

Spammers from India are registering on my forum then reporting the confirmation email as spam.
I would suspect them to be a rival, enemy, ex-member, etc...
...or they are simply using someone else's email address to register in the hope that the confirmation is not necessary.

This is one of the reasons why I finally turned off email confirmations for registration. I went through a period of this type of behavior and it took me ages to finally get the site cleared off the blacklists. It's also why I don't send birthday notices any more.

This is one of the reasons why I finally turned off email confirmations for registration. I went through a period of this type of behavior and it took me ages to finally get the site cleared off the blacklists. It's also why I don't send birthday notices any more.

We have this turned off too, with the proper spam protections we have anything dodgy flagged as spam and ban them before it goes onto the official board too.

If your spammers come from different countries than your main audience, you could just block that country or ASN. I've been doing this using TPU's antispam addon and it works wonderfully. Once they hit the brick wall a couple of times, they give up and go elsewhere, looking for a softer target. Then you can allow registrations from that country or ASN again.

Spammers are such scum. If, as Alfa1 suggests, they are doing this so to manipulate you so that you turn off confirmation emails, that only makes things easier for them and may harm you in the long run. Plus, it'd be a shame to give them the win.

This thread provides another reason why forum owners should consider signing up for a service like Mandrill for their email delivery. Mandrill automatically signs you up for feedbackloop services so you can know when your emails are being flagged as spam:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/benefits-of-using-mandrill-for-email-delivery.96176/

@vbuser, what service did you use to get the notification that the emails are being marked as spam?

That's the reason why I switched to Mandrill. I really like it now. :cool:

Why on gods earth would you ever disable email confirmation? Just use a third party service. If your email is excessive, then use Amazon as it's the cheapest on the market with highest quality service as expensive services.

Amazon are $0.10 per 1,000 emails. 30k emails a month is going to cost you $3... and if your forum is sending 30k of confirmations and user watched content, then $3 a month is a drop in the bucket agains the revenue the site would generate.

Mine is disabled because I block throw away email accounts (and more added as I find them), any user is flagged and rejected automatically via several checks such as IP, Email, Names and other things so I have no need to have it confirmed.

I know several boards which also do not have it as confirmed and have no issue with spam either.

Also I have registered on some boards who use Mandrill and even then, when I use my live.co.uk or gmail.com address, it sometimes has a long delay on receiving the confirmation when these providers have issues so it makes no difference if Mandrill etc sends it instantly.

Top Bottom