Spammers are creeping...

el canadiano

Hey guys,

Although I would like to say that I normally have a good track record and such, I've recently been dealing with a lot of spam messages coming from statuses (I have Recent Status List installed). The users have not been making any posts, but they'll just make a spam message and go. It's nothing the Spam Cleaner cannot clean, but the number of them doing it is increasing, and it seems like they're all coming from the same ring of people. I've also been reporting them to the SFS.com database. I currently have Jaxel's XenUtiles installed and also I have Q&A CAPTCHA installed (I have changed most of the questions).

Is there anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Truthfully, I probably would just take away the ability for new members to make any sort of profile posts (status updates are controlled by the user's ability to make profile posts). Once they are an established member (by whatever definition you determine appropriate), have the system move them to a different user group that allows it.

If someone is on your site to do nothing but make profile posts, well... they probably are a spammer of some sort. :)

Truthfully, I probably would just take away the ability for new members to make any sort of profile posts (status updates are controlled by the user's ability to make profile posts). Once they are an established member (by whatever definition you determine appropriate), have the system move them to a different user group that allows it.

If someone is on your site to do nothing but make profile posts, well... they probably are a spammer of some sort. :)

I was thinking that was my only real option. I just stripped rights for profile posts and stuff and gave them via. a promotion.

I have the first 5 posts pre-moderated, which covers threads and profile posts.

Top Bottom