XF 1.3 Spam

MylesM

We've been struggling with this one for a while, but recently our forums are getting attacked by spam bots, usually occurs early morning (GMT).

I've been trialing the free version of FoolBotHoneyPot before I purchase the full version, but it's still allowing spam bots to register, apparently detecting them as humans... It doesn't fill me with much confidence to pay for the full version as our site runs on a tight budget.

I installed the free version of CustomImageCaptcha, but again it's still allowing bots to register.

I used Q&A with site specific questions before hand - only questions a human could get right, but this is still failing.

Completely at a loss.

There is very little you can do about human spammers.
They are capable of answering questions or solving captchas like any other person.

All you can do is set up the available spam options as best as possible.

The other option is to moderate all new posts, with a user group promotion after x posts.

There is very little you can do about human spammers.
They are capable of answering questions or solving captchas like any other person.

All you can do is set up the available spam options as best as possible.

The other option is to moderate all new posts, with a user group promotion after x posts.
Thanks for the quick reply @Brogan

That option was suggested by one of our members.

Just to feedback to the rest of the sites team, do human spammers usually follow the same post layout as spam bots, ie; build muscle quick, supplements I used to get a six pack etc? This is the type of spam we are getting.

Should we be banning their IP's and accounts when they occur?

Thanks

It's not really possible to identify whether it is a human or an automated program in most cases.

Use the Spam Cleaner and that will ban the account and submit their details to the spam database, assuming you have that set up in the options.

Top Bottom