Spam Support I need Help

Can someone please give me clear instructions on the best settings or add ons to stop bots from registering and stopping my forum from getting 20k+ spam conversations?

I'm exhausted from consistently cleaning up the forum. I want to know what exactly it is I need to do to stop massive amounts of spam on my forum.

Thank you.

Here is an issue I’m dealing with now. I’m trying to delete one spam member and their messages. I click on the users name on the right side of the thread. Then I go to the users “Profile Page”. Next I go to “Moderator Tools” then select “Spam”. I leave everything checked and I select “Clean Up” The user has 3,949 messages.

How long do I have to wait for it to be cleaned up? 5 minutes or an hour? I’m just frustrated because I see the tools available to me but I don’t know if they’re working correctly or not. I was thinking the default settings would prevent large amounts of spam right out of the box but it doesn't and I'm having a hard time figuring what settings I need to adjust.

Use the Spam management options that are provided. There's options to use StopForumSpam, ProjectHoneyPot, Askimet. Use Captcha or unique questions. Block email domains that the spammers are using to register. There's additional things you could try by checking out spam addons in the resource section.

Here is an issue I’m dealing with now. I’m trying to delete one spam member and their messages. I click on the users name on the right side of the thread. Then I go to the users “Profile Page”. Next I go to “Moderator Tools” then select “Spam”. I leave everything checked and I select “Clean Up” The user has 3,949 messages.

It will take a few minutes.

Configure your spam cleaner to process up to 4K messages (default is 5, I believe, as in five) and to do a permanent deletion of the messages.

Clean up your spammer. It will time out, but there will be fewer posts left. Repeat as necessary until all the posts are gone. Then delete the spammer.

I've used this approach for nuisances in the 1-2K post range, never had any get up to 4K.

I have virtually no spam in my forums. Below is how I configure my spam management (Admin CP / Home / Options / Spam Management).

XF CapTcha is here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf-qaptcha.1241/

For my sites (2) that allow unregistered guest posting, I also make this mod: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...flagged-as-spam-by-akismet.60157/#post-644504 (Without this mod, such spam is moderated but you might eventually find yourself deleting 10-20 such spams a day once the spammies find you. I have NEVER seen an Akismet-flagged post either in WP or XF that I wanted to keep.)

upload_2014-4-20_3-25-22.webp
upload_2014-4-20_3-27-30.webp
upload_2014-4-20_3-29-39.webp
upload_2014-4-20_3-30-54.webp
upload_2014-4-20_3-32-43.webp

Indeed, use the proper settings and get the API keys. The reason to have the StopForumSpam key is to see stats of your submissions and/or to get in their list :) Also you can help other forum owners with your submissions who use StopForumSpam. So if you make a key, you help others. Without a key you can use it perfectly.
Some said that when you are in the list some bot's take that in consideration but I don't know if thats true :)

Top Bottom