Spam still slipping thru, what would you do?

surfsup

I have done the following:

1. Project honeypot
2. Googles new ReCaptcha

Any other ideas??

Some spammers are still slipping thru and I have been removing them asap.

I don't think it's possible to completely stop spam, just slow it down and reduce it to manageable levels.

I use a combination of ISP/proxy blocking (using this addon), Akismet spam checks (the previous addon causes it to keep going to Akismet until they make 'x' good messages), blocking new users from posting to profiles comments/links in signatures straight away from registration.

Once single method isn't a golden bullet. But a number of them do help.

What do you mean when you say "some"? And are the messages being caught by Akismet?

You can't stop them all. I get a few a day and they're almost 100% caught by Akismet for me to delete and ban. I think that's about as good as it gets.

Reactions: Xon
You can't stop 100% of spam. You can stop 100% of bots.... but human spammers are dedicated people, and the harder you make it for them is what significantly reduces things for you.

There are quality add-ons to help achieve this, though you can do it with user group permissions and promotions, making new registered members abilities strict, opening them up as they continue to post with history, accessing more areas and features.

... they're almost 100% caught by Akismet for me to delete and ban. I think that's about as good as it gets.

The problem is that we still have to waste our time manually deleting & ban them, one at a time.

For spam phrases, we have a choice of options, automatic rejection or manual approval:

upload_2015-4-17_18-56-19.webp

For spam detected by Akismet, vanilla XenForo allows for only manual handling:

upload_2015-4-17_18-57-43.webp

In forums where this occurs regularly, I have changed the PHP code so that Akismet causes automatic deletion of the spam rather than moderation, synopsis here:

Top Bottom