Spam Posts With xF 1.2?

I expected to never see them again on the company forums at least :p

Why... they run just the built in spam detection stuff - and it's OK for bots, but if you have people behind it they can get in just like everyone else. That's why you just report it and go about your business.
Now, on your own forum, there are ample add-ons that can be used to prevent this.

I wonder if @Team XF have implemented the new 1.2 word-filter to trap more of the human spam? (y)

And if so, how's it working out? ;)

Bots can still sneak in. They made some major anti-spam improvements in 1.1.4 & 1.1.5. 1.2 adds to that.

On my 1.1.4 & 1.1.5 sites, sites, it was KeyCaptcha that once again killed virtually all the spam, which indicates that it was almost all bots, not people that were getting through.

The good news is that that even without KeyCaptcha or challenge questions (the latter requiring an ongoing effort to maintain & update since xRumer stores successes in their database), very few will get through. At the end of the day you have to reconcile yourself with getting and dealing with at least some spam occasionally. I just like for it to be as little as possible -- even less than what 1.1.4 & 1.1.5 could manage. Have I mentioned that I HATE spam?

Spam has been plaguing forums for ~ 5 years now. As far as I know, the XenForo team is the only vendor that has engaged in this effort directly. There are now significant spam-fighting features active right out of the box, and others that can be configured. In the long run this is going to be a major game-changer in the market place.

Why... they run just the built in spam detection stuff - and it's OK for bots, but if you have people behind it they can get in just like everyone else. That's why you just report it and go about your business.
Now, on your own forum, there are ample add-ons that can be used to prevent this.
I did report the post, and I'm not complaining at all.

I know, spam is something that is fought on a day to day basis, and no one side always has the upper hand in this battle. But I was just wondering, with the Akismet and SFP integration and the other improvements, it'd make it harder for bots and humans alike to spam :D

Spam has been plaguing forums for ~ 5 years now. As far as I know, the XenForo team is the only vendor that has engaged in this effort directly. There are now significant spam-fighting features active right out of the box, and others that can be configured. In the long run this is going to be a major game-changer in the market place.
I am aware of this, and thank XenForo for having implemented so many anti spam tools out of the box :)

Bots can still sneak in. They made some major anti-spam improvements in 1.1.4 & 1.1.5. 1.2 adds to that.

Using Tenants stuff and it stops everything that's been thrown at it. I also use a simple captcha that involves sliding a slider from left to right - simple enough that a cave man should be able to do it, but don't quite think a bot will be able to. I also use the StopCountrySpam (mainly for the proxy blocking but I do have RU,PL,CN,BA,KZ,KP,KG and a couple of others totally blocked).

As Mike said, the new features are gradually phased in.

Quite a few spammers have gone straight into moderation which means you never see the posts as they are then spam cleaned.

Nothing will ever stop human spammers who are using "clean" IP addresses though.
Well, apart from pre-moderating every new member, which I do on my site.
That's not really appropriate for here though as it may put potential customers off.

As Mike said, the new features are gradually phased in.

Quite a few spammers have gone straight into moderation which means you never see the posts as they are then spam cleaned.

Nothing will ever stop human spammers who are using "clean" IP addresses though.
Well, apart from pre-moderating every new member, which I do on my site.
That's not really appropriate for here though as it may put potential customers off.

Yes, I agree. For the customer forums it's a bad idea to moderate new members since it can be annoying for potential customers looking for immediate responses, even though some competitors do this to avoid any spam on the forum I think it's a good move not to do this. And I'm sure you and the other moderators also have quite a job making sure spam doesn't enter the forum which you guys are doing great at.

So I presume that the Akismet api isn't currently being used on XenForo company forums?

UI also use the StopCountrySpam (mainly for the proxy blocking but I do have RU,PL,CN,BA,KZ,KP,KG and a couple of others totally blocked).

I have not had to resort to the country blocks with 1.1.4 & 1.1.5. The Tornevall DNSBL plus the registration timer are almost good enough.

I'm really eager to see how 1.2 performs w/ just the built-in options (w/ SFS & Akismet activated).

I hope 1.2 fixes this spam stuff. I've only been on xenforo for about a week now and I can't believe how many spammers there are. Even with me switching to Q&A with tough questions they still get through. My site was on IPB for years and I never had to deal with spam at all. I was hoping 1.5 dealt with spam better. When my site was on 1.2 that was one reason that made me go back to IPB was because of spam management. I know there are add-ons out there. But I would really like to keep everything at "stock". I was just hoping it could stop this stuff out of the box. Any other ideas to stop this without using add-ons?

There are no add-ons installed here and spam is minimal considering how high profile the site is.

As the settings are tweaked I expect it to drop to almost nil.

Just a note... we get about 1 human spammer every 4 months or so, and all the bots are blocked using FoolBotHoneyPot (usually about 3,000 or so attempts every week or so). We haven't been using any form of captcha for about half a year. No change for us between XenForo 1.x and 1.2 at all.

I should add that since the site was upgraded to 1.2, a lot of the spam posts immediately go into moderation and are never displayed publicly nor seen by the members.

The default settings can be seen in the ACP Options.

You will need to sign up for various services such as SFS, Akismet, etc. if you want to utilise all of them.

Here is an idea of how to stop spam traffic: just pre-moderate posts that contain links from users registered within last 10 days. Of course that won't stop them from using keywords, but at least you won't be the source of the traffic.

It's not that people are making post, it's just all the bots that are registering. I just want to stop those dead in their tracks from registering.

Top Bottom