End of an Era for me, now fully on board with XF and happy to be here.

BobHarbison

I have used Vbulletin since at least 2002 and probably before then. I currently only own 8 licenses, though only 4 were active recently (too bad I can't sell them, but to who?).
I recently purchased 3 more XF licenses, bringing my total to 4. I just got done moving 3 of my forums and upgrading my initial trial forum to XF2. It went amazingly smooth. I'm very well versed in VB, but knew next to nothing about XF. (Two weeks ago I wasn't sure what a node was exactly...) I did my small guys first, then moved on to my biggest. One has 60K messages and nearly 43,000 images. It took a while but imported no problem. Today I finished the other import. 425K messages and 4,000 images. Everything went smoothly the first time. Of course, it helped that I'd done 3 already and knew what to expect and what I needed to have ready. But still, the entire setup, import, and then upgrade to XF2, with XFMG2 was done in 18 hours. I'm impressed. So far XF2 really seems great, nice job guys.

Welcome to XenForo. It's an amazing product and has excellent support.

Thank you. I've been using it, on a very casual basis, in my gardenforums site for four years now, waiting for it to mature. That site is my test site, and I was watching how it worked and what capabilities it had. To be honest, I set it up, experimented a bit and then pretty much forgot about it. Finally it became clear recently that continuing to run VB4 was asking for disaster, and installing VB5 was sending disaster an invitation. So it was time to make a move.

I was happy with the forums, but was spoiled by PhotoPost and just couldn't warm up to the photo gallery. With the release of XFMG2, the gallery finally looks good enough that I'm willing to use it. I still miss a few things about Photopost, but all in all, MG is pretty nice too. The software is great, easy to set up (remember when you had to fight with tons of manual permission crap to get VB to work?) and now that I have the concept down, it's easy to use.

Did you have issues with moving your Photopost content over to XF2?

I am running vB3.8.1 and I have Photopost on my site. I am in the process of migrating to XF2 and am not sure what to do about my Photopost content? I want to maintain the content, links to the content, and connections between users and their content.

It’s been a long while, so I can’t recall exact details. There was no importer for version 2 of the gallery then. Pretty sure I had to install XF1 versions, migrate, and then upgrade to XF2. They may have a version 2 gallery importer now, I don’t know.
As for the links to the gallery, yeah, that sucks. They broke. If there’s a way to migrate from PP to the new gallery and re-map the urls, I’m pretty sure I missed it. I did use the redirect script for XF2. I don’t know if the gallery can work that way too?

I've used IPB and vBulletin in the past, but I'm definitely impressed with XenForo. Took me a while to upgrade to 2.0, but I did it this past week and so far its great. I don't know why I haven't upgraded sooner.

Top Bottom