XF 1.4 SPAM Control is a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeplini

I came to xenforo from vbulletin, the previous history was enough to make me invest here.

Even though I have spam controls in place on my site, today I got 80 to 90 spam posts in each forum this morning and basically got raped, same user name and xenforo did not pick up on this, tried running whats built in to xenforo with no luck, in vbullettin if I deleted this user it would remove every post! AND FOR SOME REASON XENFORO DONT GIVE YOU THIS OPTION!

Xenforo will delete the user but WILL leave the posts, where is the dam logic in this?

so now instead of a mass delete of 800 posts on my forum from one user, I have to go through each forum and delete manually, REALLY?

which muppet thinks this a good way to treat your customers?

And where the hell are these controls, that really should be built in with out paying money to a third party!

Angry is not the word right now, especially after i just renewed my licence!

Using the spam cleaner will delete all the users posts! Just view one of their posts or their profile and use the spam button.

I believe the delete behavior in vB was the same though. It would even leave private messages, you had to use the delete all users PM option before deleting the user. Posts would default to guest. Same in Xenforo.

It's not logical to delete the user anyways. The username and email address become usable again. Ban is always better. Leave the account intact with all content deleted, as per the Spam system.

As far as picking up on the spammer? Anti Spam is Anti Registration. There is no active monitoring in almost any board software out of the box that I know of. IP.B requires you pay a subscription for their anti spam service lol.

spam-cleaner.png

https://xenforo.com/help/spam/ :rolleyes:

Should these permissions not be set as default? why do I need read up and why is they no real direction to sort this in the admin menu? really I have been looking at every 10min break at work today and something like this should be plain easy to do and not require google and a complaint, it really is not easy to do this when new to the software!

It should be easy and in front of your face, easy with VB, so why so difficult xenforo? i really am at a loss and why should I be a net expert to do this? if I ban a user or delete a user why on earth do i not get the option to delete all there content!?

Why am I having to jump through hoops, software needs to accessible to all, not just the book worms? unless you are happy selling to the few?

It should be easy and in front of your face, easy with VB, so why so difficult xenforo? i really am at a loss and why should I be a net expert to do this? if I ban a user or delete a user why on earth do i not get the option to delete all there content!?
People have been complaining about that since day 1.

Admins aren't moderators.
You have to manually give them moderator permissions.

Every forum has a different way of dealing with spam.
Xenforo is as good or better than vBulletin 4 at dealing with spam.

I mean, there's a Spam button on every single post... and that's some sort of hidden function you need to be a 'net expert' to know about? :p

Moderator and administrators are completely separate. You must be both if you want to use moderator functions and admin functions. I just checked my test board and it does seem as the first user created during installation is automatically added as a supermoderator and admin.

Even then, if you can't be bothered to spend a bit of time actually learning about the software you're using because you expect it to be intuitive enough to read your mind.. how ridiculous. Jumping through hoops? :ROFLMAO:

The spam tools in Xenforo are extensive and can be adjusted to fit any forums needs. You dont need any addons. Also comparing Xenforo to vBulletin is ludicrous. vBulletin had no spam tools in it. If you are referring to moderator tools thats a whole other subject in which Xenforo beats vBulletin hands down.

With a little patience and research you can learn how to use all these cool features in Xenforo.

Have you bothered to adjust your spam option in the control panel?

spamtool.webp

i just renewed my licence!
So you've been using XenForo for at least a year and you don't know how to delete spam posts nor use the spam options and permissions effectively to minimise or prevent this sort of thing. You then have the audacity to call the XenForo development muppets. Oh dear.

Well Kermit, I suggest you do as Brogan suggested and you read up on the spam options and permissions and learn how to use these properly. Once you do you will resolve these issues and will see that XenForo, when used properly, is effective in spam prevention.

The spam tools in Xenforo are extensive and can be adjusted to fit any forums needs. You dont need any addons. Also comparing Xenforo to vBulletin is ludicrous. vBulletin had no spam tools in it. If you are referring to moderator tools thats a whole other subject in which Xenforo beats vBulletin hands down.

With a little patience and research you can learn how to use all these cool features in Xenforo.

Have you bothered to adjust your spam option in the control panel?

View attachment 85232
This is why I set up a test board as soon as I got the new software, read all about it and once it all came clear on how to do this it's so easy.
I was a nit of a hater too after using vB for so many years, so used to vB I never thought i'd get into how this new software works, but the more I read, and ask politely to members on here the more I learn and understand how good this software is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom