Spam - contact us form

If you're using XF 2.1 then the contact form is subject to the same spam checks other content has.

So we'd recommend using spam phrases, Akismet etc.

If you do want to turn it off you just change the "Use contact form" permission.

I recieve a "Contact Us" almost daily. For some time, I add the IP to my htaccess file, but it hasn't slowed it down. I have been running Captcha 2. I guess I have to start some experimenting, so I have clicked on "Use invisible reCAPTCHA to see how that goes.
I am running Xenforo 2 on two sites. One gets little traffic, but lots of Contact Us spam, the other gets much more traffic, but much less Contact Us spam. Both run the same CAPTCHA.

I recieve a "Contact Us" almost daily. For some time, I add the IP to my htaccess file, but it hasn't slowed it down. I have been running Captcha 2. I guess I have to start some experimenting, so I have clicked on "Use invisible reCAPTCHA to see how that goes.
I am running Xenforo 2 on two sites. One gets little traffic, but lots of Contact Us spam, the other gets much more traffic, but much less Contact Us spam. Both run the same CAPTCHA.
Maybe try installing SpamD (SpamAssassin) if you having problems with spam emails. This service is good for filtering those.

You might like this addon,

Try the Questions and Answers, it works very well if you use a Q&A which is specific knowledge about your forum topic that only legit members would know.

You might like this addon,
I just started testing this on three forums. It works perfectly. In the first 48 hours since I installed it, the count for blocked contact form spam is now up to 172 (62, 20, and 90).

I just started testing this on three forums. It works perfectly. In the first 48 hours since I installed it, the count for blocked contact form spam is now up to 172 (62, 20, and 90).
Using same addon, I am up to 14,666 spammers caught and none getting through to my inbox. Zero. And I use ONLY this, no Q&A, Askimet, SFS, captchas or any other obsolete nonsense that makes legitimate people have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Log below:
contactspam.webp

Last edited:
I was getting loads of contact us spam, I added a cloudflare js challenge firewall rule for the contact us page and haven't had any spam since.

I was getting a daily dose of spam using CAPTCHA V2. I have now used question & answer CAPTCHA for almost two weeks, and have had only one contact spam.

If you're using XF 2.1 then the contact form is subject to the same spam checks other content has.

If an IP address found in StopForumSpam, then it can be detected during the registration and the registration is rejected. We don't even have to moderate this if we configured the SPAM settings properly. This is awesome.

Recently we started to receive so many spam messages via Contact us form, and the IP addresses are found in the StopForumSpam database if I check them manually. Doesn't the form submission work the same as the registration or can't we stop Contact us submissions if the sender IP is found in StopForumStop just like registration? Guests are allowed to contact us obviously, we tried Captcha and Q&A, however, it doesn't help.

Thank you.

Top Bottom