XF 2.1 Spam Cleaner and removing users

Jimmy19

I have been using spam cleaner when I have spammers come into my forum to ban them. The ban works and their content gets deleted. However, I just noticed that it never actually deletes their profile and keeps their user state to "registered". Why is this not deleting the users? I have my settings attached.

Attachments

• spamcleaner.webp
    spamcleaner.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 19
If you delete them, they can reregister.

The problem I'm having is that I am getting spammers in forum. They make a spam post, then I run spam cleaner and it deletes everything. But, I didn't realize it doesn't delete their profile and keeps their user status to "Valid" and "registered. In turn, I have a weekly automated newsletter that goes out every week (to valid registered users) and this causes a bunch of hard bounces. I have the bounce handler running, but it doesn't seem to be doing what I thought it was supposed to do. That is to make the user status "invalid" when an email bounces. I do see email bounces in my email bounce log, so I know I have it setup right.

The problem I'm having is that I am getting spammers in forum. They make a spam post, then I run spam cleaner and it deletes everything. But, I didn't realize it doesn't delete their profile and keeps their user status to "Valid" and "registered. In turn, I have a weekly automated newsletter that goes out every week (to valid registered users) and this causes a bunch of hard bounces. I have the bounce handler running, but it doesn't seem to be doing what I thought it was supposed to do. That is to make the user status "invalid" when an email bounces. I do see email bounces in my email bounce log, so I know I have it setup right.
Amazing ain't it, how they simply verify nonexistent email addresses. Almost like, email verification is completely useless as a spam fighting tool.

Hi,

I was searching for a thread that could cope with my request and avoid creating a new one, and this one seems very similar to my problem, so here goes:

I also have some spammers constantly creating the same name user account every time.
The spam process works well at registration since their status is set as "rejected".
Thing is I like to keep my "house" clean so I delete the users after a while so that statistics are also clean, and you bet, they register back.

So my question is quite simple:
If the spam process correctly identifies the spammer, and rejects its account, why on earth doesn't it just refuse to create the account in the first place?

Why does XenForo create a new account for someone it knows it's a spammer already?
Instead of creating the account and label it "rejected", just don't accept the account creation in the first place!

Is this really that hard to implement?
For me this is what makes sense.

Top Bottom