sonnb - Stop Spam Here [Paid] [Deleted]

sonnb

sonnb submitted a new resource:

sonnb - Stop Spam Here (version 1.0.0) - Prevent Spammers with StopForumSpam API and Akismet API - A Must-have addon for Administrators

Descriptions
Tired with Spammers in the world? You have to delete Threads, Posts and Users that spamming your forum all the day? This addon must be your close friend.

Functions
- Spammer Checking during Registration process
- Spammer Checking during Posting process

Options
- Registration Process (Based on StopForumSpam API):
  • Able to check Spammer's username
  • Able to check Spammer's email
  • Able to check Spammer's IP
  • Able to choose default action once...

Read more about this resource...

This looks great :)

I haven't tested it yet, but on the 'error message' where it states to "contact the Administrator", is there a link to actually contact the administrator?

I haven't tested it yet, but on the 'error message' where it states to "contact the Administrator", is there a link to actually contact the administrator?
It is easy to put a link inside the message. I could put a field in ACP options to configure the link to display. I would be available in the next version.

Would be nice to have logging for this as well. The vBulletin version of StopForumSpam lets you see exactly who was denied and who was allowed to register.

Other than that, thank you for releasing this.

Would be nice to have logging for this as well. The vBulletin version of StopForumSpam lets you see exactly who was denied and who was allowed to register.

Other than that, thank you for releasing this.

Hello, it has. You could check in ACP -> Tool -> Logging.

sonnb updated sonnb - Stop Spam Here with a new update entry:

Update: Added Keyword and Link filters, Catch bot using hidden input

Change logs:
- Added Keyword filter for select-able action: Create Thread, Reply, Comment, Profile Post, Comment to Profile Post, Conversation and Reply to an Conversation. Once keyword is found, you can apply various option: Block, Moderate and Allow.
- Added Link filter for select-able action: Create Thread, Reply, Comment, Profile Post, Comment to Profile Post, Conversation and Reply to an Conversation. Once link is found, you can apply various option: Block, Moderate and Allow.

Read the rest of this update entry...

The new update is using contactUrl (configurable via ACP) instead of "contact the Administrator".

Nice!
I'm glad member management is being worked on - but I do have some suggestions as to how this and other such efforts might be improved. I'm going to use my own board as an example....where I use manual activation. It would be great if some of my personal "fuzzy logic" could be automated.

Examples:
1. Whitelist certain email domains - it would be great if a cron job or other such action automatically OKed the members who registered with certain domains. As an example, most all members using cable companies, big telecom, etc. are not spammers (in my experience). verizon, cox, charter, comcast, etc. could fit this category.

2. Blacklist countries by IP range or individual lP lookup.

3. Automatically look up countries and present the members to be manually activated in a easy to read tabular list with the country of origin - and allow instant deletes from that screen...

Since we manually activate, we have virtually no problem with users actually posting spam. My experience over the years with SFP is that it only knows about 10-15% of the spammers who attempt to register, so that by itself does me almost no good....while the above (whitelisting, etc.) would definitely whittle down my workload a bit, as I would not have to spend as much time looking at and approving each member.

quick question....how long after registering should it take for the user to be put in the moderation queue?

hmm few teething problems.
2 registrations caught on username block with SFS. Both were legit. One ended up awaiting approval, the other did not.
2 registrations from spammers with SFS IP and 1 with SFS email both allowed through without any issues.

Top Bottom