sonnb - Stop Spam Here [Paid] [Deleted]

Nice!
I'm glad member management is being worked on - but I do have some suggestions as to how this and other such efforts might be improved. I'm going to use my own board as an example....where I use manual activation. It would be great if some of my personal "fuzzy logic" could be automated.

Examples:
1. Whitelist certain email domains - it would be great if a cron job or other such action automatically OKed the members who registered with certain domains. As an example, most all members using cable companies, big telecom, etc. are not spammers (in my experience). verizon, cox, charter, comcast, etc. could fit this category.

2. Blacklist countries by IP range or individual lP lookup.

3. Automatically look up countries and present the members to be manually activated in a easy to read tabular list with the country of origin - and allow instant deletes from that screen...

Since we manually activate, we have virtually no problem with users actually posting spam. My experience over the years with SFP is that it only knows about 10-15% of the spammers who attempt to register, so that by itself does me almost no good....while the above (whitelisting, etc.) would definitely whittle down my workload a bit, as I would not have to spend as much time looking at and approving each member.

Thanks for your suggestion.
1. It's good to do an white/black email's domain.
2. As you know that they could use a fake IP for registration (almost spam bot have proxy configurable) so it is unnecessary to add this feature. In case of you are really want to blacklist it, XF already supports this with several options: block, discourage...

hmm few teething problems.
2 registrations caught on username block with SFS. Both were legit. One ended up awaiting approval, the other did not.
2 registrations from spammers with SFS IP and 1 with SFS email both allowed through without any issues.
Hello optrex,

On first case, Did you change the action during this time? It could not apply 2 different actions with same settings.

For spam catching issue: We rely on SFS database, so sometime that record might exists in SFS for any reason (someone delete valid user but stick them as spam...) and sometime that record is spam but it does not exists in SFS => it would be allowed. In my experiences, when I started to use SFS API on vBB about more than 1 year ago, it was great, it could block many spammers that I could see in the logs but now, it passes a lot of spammers and I am not sure why.

no_result_found phrase is not translated when click on sonnb - Stop Spam Here - Logs

Unclear message. What do you mean to say here?
Note: Since have no moderation queue for Conversation and Profile Post's Comments. The spam message would be not allowed to be posted if you choose "Allow but put into moderation queue".

no_result_found phrase is not translated when click on sonnb - Stop Spam Here - Logs

Unclear message. What do you mean to say here?
Note: Since have no moderation queue for Conversation and Profile Post's Comments. The spam message would be not allowed to be posted if you choose "Allow but put into moderation queue".

- For the phrase: I let it simple as that, you can add/translate as you want since it is ACP and we just want to know what is the result ;)
- For the message: That means: for Conversation and Profile Post's Comments, they only have 2 effected action: deny and allow (because XF does not have queue and permanent link for them).
  • Deny action:
    • Do not allow to post
    • Allow to post but put into moderation queue
    • Allow to post and send PC
    • Allow to post and create report
  • Allow action:
    • Allow.

Some grammar/format clean up. I saw this on the spam log.
User <b>""</b> had trying to register. <br /><br />...
I know you try to use bold but it does not parse correctly.
"tried" is more correct than "had trying".
Or you can say "failed to register" which makes more sense since the addon blocked his registration.
Haha. You are right Andy, it was a mistake of copy paste. I would fix it in 1.1.6.

For the empty user, it is because of user did not input username field.

I've also changed the denied phrase since the original is a little harsh to send to a false positive.

sonnbStopSpamHere_registration_stop_message
You are detected as Spammer and are not allowed to Register here. If you believe this was not correct, please reply or use the contact form <a href="{contactUrl}">{contactUrl}</a>
to
Some of your information (email address, username, etc) has been found in the Stop Forum Spam database. You are not currently able to Register here. If you believe this was not correct, please reply or use the contact form <a href="{contactUrl}">{contactUrl}</a>

sonnb updated sonnb - Stop Spam Here with a new update entry:

Added register date check, added keyword to action feature, added report maker option

Change Logs:

- Keyword to action feature: You might want to block, moderate posts if they contain some specific words and apply other actions if they contain another words. For example:
must block word=>block​
probably moderate=>moderate​
The process order of actions are: block => moderate => pc => report => allow

If several words were found with various actions need to be applied, it would process by above order.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Didn't look like you fixed those minor grammar things in the log APC
sonnb - Stop Spam Here - Logs

Delete...

User <b>"larryxxx"</b> had trying to register. <br /><br...Yesterday at 7:55 AM - 17001 - larryblossom -
Delete...

User <b>"Ian xxxx"</b> had trying to reply a thread. <br...Yesterday at 1:09 AM - 16310 - Ian Kaplan -
Delete...

User <b>"thanh"</b> had trying to register. <br /><br />...Thursday at 9:36 AM - 16983 - thanh -
Delete...

User <b>"monica"</b> had trying to register. <br /><br />...Thursday at 5:03 AM - 16979 - monica -

Didn't look like you fixed those minor grammar things in the log APC
sonnb - Stop Spam Here - Logs

Delete...

User <b>"larryxxx"</b> had trying to register. <br /><br...Yesterday at 7:55 AM - 17001 - larryblossom -
Delete...

User <b>"Ian xxxx"</b> had trying to reply a thread. <br...Yesterday at 1:09 AM - 16310 - Ian Kaplan -
Delete...

User <b>"thanh"</b> had trying to register. <br /><br />...Thursday at 9:36 AM - 16983 - thanh -
Delete...

User <b>"monica"</b> had trying to register. <br /><br />...Thursday at 5:03 AM - 16979 - monica -

Hi Andy,

Only new logs are effected. The old logs were there, in DB already.

Can you explain to me how you are reporting to StopForumSpam?

Currently on registration, you check two things:
  1. If any criteria are in the StopForumSpam database
  2. If the hidden registration field is filled
Do you report to StopForumSpam on both cases?

Looking to buy - Does it sometimes prevent genuine users too. I cant afford to let that happen as my forum is only just growing.

Can you explain to me how you are reporting to StopForumSpam?

Currently on registration, you check two things:
  1. If any criteria are in the StopForumSpam database
  2. If the hidden registration field is filled
Do you report to StopForumSpam on both cases?
Sorry for late reply.
1. User are already there, we would not report again.
2. User absolutely is spammer and we would not check for another case more then we would report them.

Looking to buy - Does it sometimes prevent genuine users too. I cant afford to let that happen as my forum is only just growing.

It depends on Stop Forum Spam database, it is probably some cases but you could configure the actions to be applied: allow, block, moderate (you can review later)... then it would not always block the users.

I'm still not convinced I've got this working. I have a user who registered 90 mins ago and he is listed prolifically on stopforumspam with his email
Capture.webp Capture2.webp

Top Bottom