Some upcoming changes for 8WAYRUN Addons!

TBH, I kinda figured this would happen after I saw you starting to reply to support inquiries in the release threads ;)

Count me among those who would pay for more features for xenPorta. You can always consider going with a two-tiered pricing for your add-0ns—a lower price for non-supported and a higher fee for supported.

Jaxel, now we are talking.
I'll be happy to pay for a premium XenPorta addon so I can get "good" support.
Because from the previous addons track record (dating back to vB) your support has been to say the least not good.

Anyways, good luck.

I see XenForo (the community at large) starting to shift that balance (at least a hint to it). That concerns me a little. I'm keeping an eye on it.
I actually understand where Adam is coming from. There are a lot of addons here on XenForo which can be accomplished with very few lines of code, and can be programmed in just a couple of minutes; and I wonder "why are they charging $10 for this?"

My addons however are NOT simple. They are big, complicated addons that add entire sections to XenForo.

I actually understand where Adam is coming from. There are a lot of addons here on XenForo which can be accomplished with very few lines of code, and can be programmed in just a couple of minutes; and I wonder "why are they charging $10 for this?"

My addons however are NOT simple. They are big, complicated addons that add entire sections to XenForo.

Sometimes I think the same too, but then I think... Well, if they are going to be supported, rather than just left in the RM it is understandable. :)

Jaxel, you are a credit to the xenforo community for providing these complex and full featured addons for free. I agree that you should charge for a more enhanced version of your addons, yet also keep a version of the same addon available for free for some forum admins who are just starting out so they can test out and see how good these addons are.

Count me in if you release XenPorta as a paid addon. It would be great if the recent news feature was more aesthetically pleasing though ;)

What I would like to see is that the core source being open source, then users can choose to pay for premium support (including custom-tailored feature addition) and other goodies (sneak peek on new features, premium addons to the addon, what have you).

At least that's what I plan on doing for my upcoming larger addons. I like to keep everything open source.

Okay, I've removed the "premium" expensions from the resource manager here on xenforo.com.

The reason for this is I am no longer going to do the a-la-cart media hosters with XenMedio. Instead, I am just going to charge $40 for the entire package and ALL HOSTERS in a single purchase. I removed the existing downloads because I don't want people purchasing them for now.

Also, I will be sending out coupon codes for 50% off the new version for people who already bought the premium expansion of the old version... as soon as I figure out how to do it in fetchapp.

I would pay for XenPorta if you add the following features to it:

- Nested categories
- Ability to assign styles to categories
- RSS feeds for categories
- Create categories not only in the ACP, but in the frontend as well in the thread_create template
- Dynamic sidebar blocks*

*Dynamic sidebar blocks are blocks that show up in article view dependent on the content of the article. For instance, if you have a gaming site and report about one specific game, I want a block with information about this game as an overview. You can do this with WordPress, Jooma etc. but not with XenPorta (currently).

I mean lets face it, right now XenPorta isn't really suitable for fully fledged multi-categorie sites :(

I mean lets face it, right now XenPorta isn't really suitable for fully fledged multi-categorie sites :(
Nested categories will not be coming. The confusion you are having has to do with terminology. "Categories" are not designed as a directory, but more as article tags (like in wikis). The purpose of categories is not as a directory, but as a way for moderators to "tag" an article to a general topic. Because of this, it does not make sense to have a relationship between categories to other categories, only between categories to articles.

As for the ability to assign styles to categories... this is already in for the next version.

RSS feeds for categories I will consider... but the current RSS system for XenPorta is designed to be heavily cached... the category system in XenPorta however is not cached; so doing it in RSS, could add a lot of resource consumption that I'm not sure I want to put in...

Dynamic sidebar blocks are already possible and have been possible for a long time now. All you need to do is create a raw html block with the information about a game, then include that block in an layout called "articles-#categoryslug".

The confusion you are having has to do with terminology. "Categories" are not designed as a directory, but more as article tags (like in wikis).

Thanks for the explanation :-)

I've never understood what categories were meant to do and that's one of the most asked questions in the XenPorta thread. I always assumed they were some kind of hierarchy/structural thing, not "tags".

Nested categories will not be coming. The confusion you are having has to do with terminology. "Categories" are not designed as a directory, but more as article tags (like in wikis). The purpose of categories is not as a directory, but as a way for moderators to "tag" an article to a general topic. Because of this, it does not make sense to have a relationship between categories to other categories, only between categories to articles.
Oh I see. But it's somewhat possible to have 'nested categories' with forums. Why not with articles? I mean lets say I have forum

Forum 1
---Forum 2
------Forum 3

Why isn't it possible to create a page that shows all threads/articles within Forum 1 and its sub-forums? Or better, why isn't it possible to create a page that shows all threads/articles with a specific prefix within selected forums?

As for the ability to assign styles to categories... this is already in for the next version.
Awesome :)

RSS feeds for categories I will consider... but the current RSS system for XenPorta is designed to be heavily cached... the category system in XenPorta however is not cached; so doing it in RSS, could add a lot of resource consumption that I'm not sure I want to put in...
Well, in that case I could live without it. Just thought it would be cool if people can have RSS feeds only for categories they are interested in.

Dynamic sidebar blocks are already possible and have been possible for a long time now. All you need to do is create a raw html block with the information about a game, then include that block in an layout called "articles-#categoryslug".
I need to check this out, thanks :)

Top Bottom