Some sad news

I only just used one of his addons to fix a problem on one of my sites on the weekend :(

He will be missed.

1582587920672.webp

Mental health is a serious issue in the computer science field, and is something which frequently comes with great amounts of stigma attached to it.

Hopefully one day it will be something that is less stigmatised. It's nothing to be ashamed of and can affect anyone.

If there are any other people in a similar situation to Liam reading this, here are some resources which may be helpful

Also, talk to your tutors. Talk to family, or open up to a friend or other coursemates, or a stranger at the Samaritans. University can be a really lonely place, especially when studying computer science, but many CS departments are very understanding these days about the mental health issues CS students face. A field where imposter syndrome is highly prevalent due to the vastness and constant overwhelming growth.

Its funny, I think many of us here are probably members of dozens of online communities that total hundreds of thousands of members each. It's the love of that sense of community and belonging that most of us have probably ended up on this site, for forum software that empowers us to help build our own community. But even with these vast online communities it's still very easy to feel alone. So make sure to reach out and open up to people in your offline space, even if you're feeling down. Similarly if you have that friend that you haven't heard from in a while or might be distant and not always replying to your texts, pick up the phone and call them, or send them another PM and keep trying. They will likely still appreciate getting the messages even if they're not ready respond.

Rest in peace Liam.

Is there a confirmation somewhere that Liam actually went through with it? Or is his posting a cry for help? Having a hard time believing this news. He was a great person to work with on my software development projects. If true, he will truly be missed. 😢

Last edited:
I'm so sad to hear of this news. I only spoke to Liam in passing but I could tell he was exceptionally bright. This community will be in mourning for a long time.

Working in online communities can be ironically lonely. I hope we learn to talk with each other more and truly connect, not just through posts and banter but REALLY connect. We see each other almost every day and maybe we don't even know the name of our pets, age, any of the simplest details about each other's lives. I hope we can work on that as a group. Right or wrong, I want to believe we can do more.

Rest easy Liam you were appreciated here by many. I wish I had the chance to connect with you.

Working in online communities can be ironically lonely. I hope we learn to talk with each other more and truly connect, not just through posts and banter but REALLY connect. We see each other almost every day and maybe we don't even know the name of our pets, age, any of the simplest details about each other's lives. I hope we can work on that as a group. Right or wrong, I want to believe we can do more.
Maybe that would be a good idea for a thread, one where the XF community regulars can introduce themselves as people, not just by their sites and/or XF add-ons, and get to know each other.

Top Bottom