• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Some Question Before Buy..

Hi! I'm really interested in purchasing xenforo forum! But before that, I have a question that I would like to ask.. Should I buy just license worth $140. Is it necessary to Xenforo resource manager? What is the use of xenforo resource manager? Does xenforo add-on (media/award/achievement plugin) needed xenforo resource manager?

I hope someone could clarify these things to me so I could understand more..

Thanks alot!

Jeremy

If you click on "Resources" in the navigation bar above, you can see what the Resource Manager is all about. Its an add-on (not required) that is meant to house files, be it images, add-ons, and what not. Nothing within XenForo requires the Resource Manager to function.

Jeremy

No. Add-ons are fully supported by the software as-is, without the resource manager. On this site, the Resource Manager is installed and stores the information for XenForo add-ons, styles, and guides made by 3rd parties (Not XenForo Ltd.).

The resource manager is meant to house files, articles, or links to files on your site. If you don't have a use for it (ie, you don't need to house files), you don't need to purchase it.

If you do purchase it, it adds money to your yearly renewal fee.

Thanks @King Kovifor and @Moshe1010 , So if i install/download ad-ons from 3rd party site, I have to purchase the Resource manager add-on? What are the examples of other sites that made add-on? Another thing, I have a blog using wordpress, and I'm thinking of move forward to another level by having a community based forum (I found out xenforo is easy to use in the demo). Can I still have blog page with xenforo? like main page or something?

Tracy Perry

Thanks @King Kovifor and @Moshe1010 , So if i install/download ad-ons from 3rd party site, I have to purchase the Resource manager add-on? What are the examples of other sites that made add-on? Another thing, I have a blog using wordpress, and I'm thinking of move forward to another level by having a community based forum (I found out xenforo is easy to use in the demo). Can I still have blog page with xenforo? like main page or something?
All the Resource Manager is for is if YOU want to offer downloads of resources (add-on's, etc) from YOUR forum. It is not required to have to install add-ons obtained from elsewhere.

Jeremy

If you download a style or add-on from another site (ie, http://xenfluence.com), the software supports installing and running it. The Resource Manager is an add-on in itself, meaning you install it just like you would any 3rd party add-on. If you have no reason to store files, the resource manager doesn't need purchased.

As for Blogs, there are several ways to accomplish this:
  1. Purchase (all the XenForo native blogging platforms are paid for, XI Blog is powerful and can be found at the link above) a XenForo native blog.
  2. Use a bridge to link your blog to XenForo. There are several that can be found here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

So xenforo Resource Manager are for those who want to let user download add-on from their forum? like an add-on creator? sorry for asking newbie question.. Once i buy, after one year, the renewal license is $40 or still $140?

Tracy Perry

So xenforo Resource Manager are for those who want to let user download add-on from their forum? like an add-on creator? sorry for asking newbie question.. Once i buy, after one year, the renewal license is $40 or still $140?
If you are going to offer resources, that is what it is targeted at. Yearly updates are base $40, the RM adds extra (I think $10 or so).

Jeremy

Renewal Schemes for official products:
  • XenForo Only: $40 per year
  • XenForo and Resource Manager: $55 per year
  • XenForo and Elastic Search: $50 per year
  • XenForo, Elastic Search, and Resource Manager: $65 per year
The resource manager does not need to house add-ons, that's just what it is used for here.

Last edited:

Jeremy

That question will get rather biased opinions on the official XenForo support forums. Personally, I think it is the best thing on the market and with the rate of development and stability, will stay there for a long time.

Tracy Perry

Ok I understand.. One last thing, can you guys tell me your experience with xenforo than other forum board?
I've used phpBB, myBB, a little SMF, Joomla's forum related add-ons and one other that I can't remember (didn't use it long as didn't like it). Also used Maximus BBS back in the bad old days.
I currently own 3 xenForo licenses, if that tells you anything.

Jeremy

Yes, quite easy. If you are nervous, there are several people on these forums who offer installation services, you can also pay XenForo staff (officially) to install it for you.

I used to have installed other forums before this but most of free forum are not really user friendly so i decided to get a blog first.. ummm in xenforo, is there gallery add-on or something like that were user can share their artwork/wallpaper/cool images ?