XF 2.1 Some Emoji problems after XF-2.1

mkucuksari

Yesterday, I have upgraded my live forum from XF-2.0.12 to XF-2.1.0. Everything seems okey and don't have an error message.

But I have just noticed that some emojis posted at before, is not working any more. They are seen as "???"

Example-1 : This post is sent before upgrade and the emojiis in that post are still working perfect.

Example-2 : This post is also sent before upgrade, but emojiis in that post are not working ?

Befora UPGRADE it was like that

And this is how I set Emojis at AP

Yesterday, I have upgraded my live forum from XF-2.0.12 to XF-2.1.0. Everything seems okey and don't have an error message.

But I have just noticed that some emojis posted at before, is not working any more. They are seen as "???"

Example-1 : This post is sent before upgrade and the emojiis in that post are still working perfect.

View attachment 194887

Example-2 : This post is also sent before upgrade, but emojiis in that post are not working ?

View attachment 194888

Befora UPGRADE it was like that

View attachment 194889

And this is how I set Emojis at AP

View attachment 194890
Have you at any point restored the database from a backup?

Have you at any point restored the database from a backup?
Hi @Chris D Yes actually 2 days ago, I transfer my forum from sharing host to VDS.

Example -1 is posted at new server. Example-2 is posted at old server.

I am not sure %100 but as far as I can remember Example-2 was working at new server with old XF2.0.12 version.

Unfortunately, it's nothing to do with the software itself.

I think you've bumped into this issue:
Your database backup was likely done in a character set that does not support multibyte UTF-8 characters.

The simplest way to fix this is if you have the original database from the shared host. You would have to do the backup again in the correct character set and restore that (you would likely lose the last couple of days of activity therefore).

Unfortunately, it's nothing to do with the software itself.

I think you've bumped into this issue:
Your database backup was likely done in a character set that does not support multibyte UTF-8 characters.

The simplest way to fix this is if you have the original database from the shared host. You would have to do the backup again in the correct character set and restore that (you would likely lose the last couple of days of activity therefore).

If you don't start using emojis until 2.1.x or after this won't happen will it? I haven't used emojis yet but would like to know just in case I use them in the future. This only affects users who had emojis on 2.0.x?

It only applies to clean XF 2.x installs, or installs which were upgraded from XF 1.5 and you've converted the database tables to utf8mb4.

Thanks for quick reply. We have just started to use emojis very soon. So missing emojis will not be a big problem for us. Just want to be sure it is not a bug of XF-2.1

But for future, I will definitely check the new server situation and will confirm that the backup configuration does support UTF8MB4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom