SoE's EverQuest next COMING

wtf is everquest next. *googles it*

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/everquest-next-is-real-and-its-amazing

destructible environments eh?

that would suck if you tried to see the sights and by the time you sign up and login online, all the cool places are destroyed. :LOL:

It will depend on the player population, some areas will rebuild over time depending on the amount of players in that area.

with this new game its really the future and start of the new mmo's, really check this out.http://www.youtube.com/user/EverQuestNext/videos

I think I want.

fry.webp

The EverQuest Next forums will, of course, use XenForo with heavy modifications by SOE. They've modified it so much that I think they probably won't be able to upgrade to 1.2 for a long time. Unfortunately the policy makers who run the Forums have made some really strange decisions like disabling Custom Avatars, Who's Online, setting very short Edit Time Limits, etc.

Yes, the software is heavily modified, but upgrading isn't nearly as difficult as you'd expect. While I worked there, we used mercurial for version control and used a patch queue to apply most of our changes as patches to the base. So upgrading simply meant refreshing the queue and making a few minor tweaks. Most projects have since moved on to git, last I heard, but the process is basically the same -- merge in the new stuff, and deal with he resulting merge conflicts. All of this is definitely less time consuming than reapplying all the modifications from scratch.

oohhh snagged for my EQN forum I'm planning everquestnext.co WAS still aval til 5 min ago ;) sadly someone already got eqnext.co
Heh, well at least you didn't have to repurchase 3 different domains just to settle for the "right one" based on the (IMO stupid) name they chose!

Here is some info I gathered about this game:

- System requirements unknown. Mac version unknown.

- Destructible environment. Everything can be destroyed. Though the world heals.

- Permanent changes. In addition to superficial destruction which heals back, the game will have more directed permanent changes like events where players can raise a city (or fail in doing so) resulting in differences between game servers that develop over time.

- Underground areas which you can discover by literally digging into the ground. The destructible environment allows organic and unrestricted digging for this purpose.

- Highly complex and customizable class system. New classes are discovered out in the world as you play. I have seen it said there are 40+ classes out in the world. As you discover new classes you can pick and choose what abilities you want from those classes, so the player has a great deal of control.

- No character levels. There is no vertical progression. Rather advancement in the game is in discovering new classes and therefore character combinations and play styles. The challenge of its encounters is served as a function of scale and complexity forcing players to team up and experiment with different class combinations to conquer foes and other events. Whereas in WoW you might say, "this mob is hard, we need a high level player," in EQN you would say, "this mob summons allies so we need a character with CC abilities or several characters to handle the sheer number of mobs." It very much becomes a game of strategy and team work instead of a game of overpowering your enemies. I am not sure about itemization though... that is certainly an opportunity for vertical progression. They have said that crafting will be a huge part of the game.

- Smart AI. For example, there are no fixed mob spawns in the game. Rather mobs are programmed with likes and dislikes, and the world collects information about everything. Mobs are then set loose and they find what they like. Orc raiders are given as an example. Orcs like roads that are frequented by lots of players so they can steel their gold, so Orcs roam the world looking for roads with lots of traffic which is an internal state of the road itself... the road keeps track of how many players use it and Orcs look for this. If the road becomes less traveled then Orcs take notice and might move on to a different area in search of a more desirable road. Because of this mobs will be very dynamic and responsive to player behavior.

- Similar to mob AI, the world reacts to the state of your character which is defined by choices that you make while playing, so the gaming experience will be different for every character.

- This winter (2013) they are releasing a game called EQ Landmark which will let players use the dev tools to create things in the world. The devs will then use player-created stuff in EQN when it is released. So the players get a chance to contribute to development. I am totally going to make a bridge with a gnome guardian.

- There will be a marketplace where players can sell their creations using the map dev tools. If some one buys your creation and uses it as part of their own creation, and then they sell their creation, you get royalties as a percentage of your contribution to their creation.

Jake, you missed some things.

There are 7 known Playable Races: Kerran, Human, Dwarf, Elf, Dark Elf, Ogre, and Ratonga.
There are 6 known Playable Classes: Wizard, Warrior, Blademaster, Rogue, Monk, Tempest.

With all of the information we have, it's important to remember that things are subject to change. SOE changes their minds a lot on the fly, the game "PlanetSide 2" was once called "PlanetSide X" because the Lore was supposed to take place ten years after the original game.

As far as the reveal and everything goes, I was very excited. I got off of work sat down and just watched the whole thing from start to finish on Twitch.tv. I have to assume everyone already saw the debut right? If anyone hasn't seen it yet, I compiled the two parts together into 1 full video and I added in the full EQN theme song sample at the very end. Of course you can just watch it on Twitch or in two pieces via the official Youtube channel.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want to skip all of the beginning part such as the "My EQ Story" and the "Sand Painting" you can move right to 26 minutes and 45 seconds into the video.

I firmly stand by the statements I've said many times... EverQuest2 was the best MMO ever made... at launch.

I've heard they've dumbed it down hard to appeal to the WoW crowd since then though. EQ2 came out 2 days before WoW; and failed because of the mythical beast that is Blizzard and the rabid fans. For the next 5 years of WoW expansions, everytime one came out and added some new feature that people thought was revolutionary, I would say "yeah, and EQ2 had it... day one".

BTW, I was the author of the OCD Skins for EQ2 before I think LU17 came out. Unfortunately I was unable to get a beta code for EQN... so if anyone wants to give one to me... =P

I firmly stand by the statements I've said many times... EverQuest2 was the best MMO ever made... at launch.

I've heard they've dumbed it down hard to appeal to the WoW crowd since then though. EQ2 came out 2 days before WoW; and failed because of the mythical beast that is Blizzard and the rabid fans. For the next 5 years of WoW expansions, everytime one came out and added some new feature that people thought was revolutionary, I would say "yeah, and EQ2 had it... day one".

BTW, I was the author of the OCD Skins for EQ2 before I think LU17 came out. Unfortunately I was unable to get a beta code for EQN... so if anyone wants to give one to me... =P
You can still apply for BETA.

Oh and I'm a bit annoyed that they decided to go with these Cartoonish style Character Models. The world itself looks great but the characters.. bleh. I wish they would have made the character designs more like Aion or Tera.

Made a new account and just tried..

You have successfully applied for the EverQuest Next and EverQuest Next Landmark Beta programs. Our Beta programs will be ramping up slowly. Meanwhile, join us at the Round Table to help make EverQuest Next or download the EverQuest Worlds app to earn rewards and keep up with the latest news.

I know nothing about EQ2. What made it good?

I've heard they've dumbed it down hard to appeal to the WoW crowd since then though.

WoW has also been dumbed down. I stopped playing after WotLK.

EQ2 came out 2 days before WoW; and failed because of the mythical beast that is Blizzard and the rabid fans. For the next 5 years of WoW expansions, everytime one came out and added some new feature that people thought was revolutionary, I would say "yeah, and EQ2 had it... day one".

Hmm, I am interested to compare the two as I know nothing about EQ2. But big games like this are never just about features. It's an experience. To WoW's credit, it had (and still has) a great UX going for it.

I never thought of any WoW expansions as "revolutionary." Mostly they were just new content to explore. WoW hasn't changed much at all since 1.0. Mostly it just relies on the inertia of its initial success. It has a critical mass of players.

I know nothing about EQ2. What made it good?
The game emphasized SKILL; something that other MMOs simply don't do. Everything the game did at the early levels was actually a way to slowly teach you how to properly play the game. Then it started putting in "stops" to your game if you didn't understand what you were doing.

For instance, in order to reach level 20, you had to do a quest... Each class had a different quest, tailored to a play style. You had to do the quest alone and it was basically the game testing you about what you've learned; and these quests were HARD. It basically beat the skill into you. If you couldn't finish the quest, you couldn't level up anymore.

Think about any MMO out there. Would you do a pick up group? If you do, do you expect the people you find to be good? In EQ2 (at least, how it was during the first few years, I've heard they've dumbed it down since then), you could do PUGs without any issue. You knew that if someone was high level, they had the skill to get them there.

Top Bottom