Implemented Social Network Buttons Behind "Two-Clicks"

Jaxel

heise_two_clicks.png

German website Heise recently changed its Facebook Like buttons to be locally-hosted greyed-out images that only transform into real Facebook Like buttons once you click them. In other words, they are not active by default; if you don’t click anything, Facebook can’t track your visit to Heise.

After the first click, Heise performs an AJAX call and inserts the Facebook Like button dynamically. The necessary Facebook scripts then load and the usual data Facebook requires is transmitted to the social network.

The change means that to Like one of Heise’s page, you need to click twice. On the other hand, this presumably results in the page loading slightly faster. Whoever wants the button to work like before can turn it on by default, and will simply have to deal with the consequences, according to Heise.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Facebook-Co-2-Klicks-fuer-mehr-Datenschutz-1335091.html

I want this feature! Having social network icons holds my pages hostage until they are loaded.

Upvote 44
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Deserves its own thread. Many of our members have (justified, IMO) concerns about facebook's data-gathering. However, the value of promotion on social networking sites is currently more important to us. I would very much like to see this excellent compromise in XF whether by default or as a plugin.

See the difference is... I don't care about facebook's data-gathering. You're on the internet, you really shouldn't expect any semblance of privacy... especially if you are a member of facebook... or use google.

What I care about is that all these facebook/google/twitter widgets hold my pages hostage until they are loaded.

As I mentions in some other Threads, I'll take a look into this end of this Month. I use ist atm in my actual forum and need it in the new. ;)

If your forum is about matters that need some discretion(medical issues, finances, addictions, funerals, etc), then adding social sharing is not a good idea because facebook etc will use the site topic to profile your users and serve them with related ads.
A two clicks implementation is less effective but it keeps social networks from breaching the privacy of your users.
It would be really nice to have this.

A design company trying to get customers is getting a lot of visitors, they are not very expensive but they just don't sell... Why!? Users don't decide immediately, they check their Facebook account and see that other design companies are 'cheaper'. Thanks for the 'comparison' Facebook.

I'm in for this feature.

Most of the "share this page" options are already behind two clicks, for instance, you have to click the permalink to get all of these:

perma.webp

But doing it Jaxels way would be better (since many users don't even know about these buttons)

Social Media buttons do slow the load page speed down, and it's annoying for users to have to wait for them (especially when most of the users only want to see the page content)

Social media buttons should be there to attract more users, not put the existing users off,

+1 (if it's possible to do this and keep in line with the social medias TOS)

Also note that you can poll the network to get the current like/share/tweet/etc count without actually sharing the user's browsing data. Thus you can still show how many tweets something has, to give users a sense of its social popularity (cache the result every couple of minutes to improve performance). And another thing I haven't liked about a lot of the current privacy solutions is that the disabled and enabled buttons look so different it is often jarring - why can't they be styled similarly, just with different opacity or muted colors? Also, bring Add This closer to the front!

VaultWiki does something similar in its Share This Page sidebar widget (called "Sharing and Linking" here): https://www.vaultwiki.org/xf/demo/Multi-page-Widget

Last edited:
And another thing I haven't liked about a lot of the current privacy solutions is that the disabled and enabled buttons look so different it is often jarring - why can't they be styled similarly, just with different opacity or muted colors? Also, bring Add This closer to the front!

VaultWiki does something similar in its Share This Page sidebar widget (called "Sharing and Linking" here): https://www.vaultwiki.org/xf/demo/Multi-page-Widget
I prefer that design over wmtech's add-on. I think that's closer to how I would like to see this implemented in XF.

Also note that you can poll the network to get the current like/share/tweet/etc count without actually sharing the user's browsing data. Thus you can still show how many tweets something has, to give users a sense of its social popularity (cache the result every couple of minutes to improve performance). And another thing I haven't liked about a lot of the current privacy solutions is that the disabled and enabled buttons look so different it is often jarring - why can't they be styled similarly, just with different opacity or muted colors? Also, bring Add This closer to the front!

Basically this. I would really like a way to implement social media sharing links without loading the heavy native widgets but all of the implementations I've seen are really ugly.

I'm going to consider this implemented in XF2, though it's sort of no longer applicable. We don't include the JS from the various social networks for sharing which a) allows us to include more sharing options without overhead and b) significantly reduces the size of a page load (assuming various elements aren't cached).

I'm going to consider this implemented in XF2, though it's sort of no longer applicable. We don't include the JS from the various social networks for sharing which a) allows us to include more sharing options without overhead and b) significantly reduces the size of a page load (assuming various elements aren't cached).

I would consider it implemented as well, in fact I like this solution even better because no unneeded JS is loaded at all.

I guess you don't get the counters but I've come to realize since the original post that nobody really cares about those numbers that much anyways.

(y)

Top Bottom