So who's going to migrate their LIVE site to 1.2

i can't... i'm stuck with vb3.8 because of thousands of images that i can't import into a native solution/add-on made by xenForo...
I'm waiting, patiently until The moment arrives.. when it does, i'm sure it will be a great day!

A word of advice for anyone planning to upgrade as soon as the public Beta is available.

Don't!

I have had to disable a few of the more popular add-ons as they won't work without an update from the add-on developers.

You can of course ignore this advice but bear in mind you won't be able to get support and you may render your site unusable and/or have to disable add-ons, removing functionality and features.

I'm sure most developers will have updates out within a few days or weeks so it would be prudent to wait.

A word of advice for anyone planning to upgrade as soon as the public Beta is available.

Don't!

I have had to disable a few of the more popular add-ons as they won't work without an update from the add-on developers.

You can of course ignore this advice but bear in mind you won't be able to get support and you may render your site unusable and/or have to disable add-ons, removing functionality and features.

I'm sure most developers will have updates out within a few days or weeks so it would be prudent to wait.

You have access to 1.2?

Would it make sense to set up a special thread to collect the list of add-ons compatible with 1.2? That would be a key reason to justify the move for those of us who have 20-30 add-ons that we depend on.
I don't think that's necessary.

By all means get and install the 1.2 BETA but run it on a test site with a copy of your live data, files including add-ons.

You'll quickly learn which ones are or aren't compatible. Then you discuss that with the add-on developer.

Would it make sense to set up a special thread to collect the list of add-ons compatible with 1.2? That would be a key reason to justify the move for those of us who have 20-30 add-ons that we depend on.

I'm not going to install every add-on in the RM so I can test compatibility.

My advice above stands; let the add-on developers test their code against 1.2 and issue an update or announce the existing code is suitable.

I'm not going to install every add-on in the RM so I can test compatibility.

My advice above stands; let the add-on developers test their code against 1.2 and issue an update or announce the existing the code is suitable.

I'm not suggesting you do that. I'm suggesting that a thread be set aside for developers to post the status of their add-ons. That is their responsibility, and putting it all in one place works for everyone's convenience. I'm sure you have enough to deal with as it is.

The information should be posted in each resource, not one central thread.

Wouldn't it be better to have one centralized place to contain this information, rather than force someone to check 20 or 30 or more threads to see what works and what doesn't? They did that with WordPress, once, before it got bogged down with thousands of plug-ins. I don't think your repository is too large -- at least not yet!

It's not up to @Brogan or XenForo. It's up to the add-on developer.

I'm posting in the threads that already exist that people will be watching if they care to receive updates. If other add-on developers want to post somewhere else I guess that would be up to them :)

Wouldn't it be better to have one centralized place to contain this information, rather than force someone to check 20 or 30 or more threads to see what works and what doesn't? They did that with WordPress, once, before it got bogged down with thousands of plug-ins. I don't think your repository is too large -- at least not yet!

I personally don't think I'd want to trawl through a thread looking to see if a particular addon I use has been updated. It's more logical to go to the addon resource itself and see if it's been updated for use with 1.2.

I personally don't think I'd want to trawl through a thread looking to see if a particular addon I use has been updated. It's more logical to go to the addon resource itself and see if it's been updated for use with 1.2.

Same here. Also, all the add-on author would need to do is then post a quick update to confirm if their add-on works as-is with 1.2, or post the fixed update when it's been tweaked to work on the new version.

Which is more logical: Searching one place, or 30?

Top Bottom