So who's going to migrate their LIVE site to 1.2

I had to upgrade. This version is too good to not upgrade :) Glad it went okay as my database backup was only 1kb when I checked afterwards!
@Neal ; I tried register to your site, but I got server error.
Code:
talkGEEK Community - Error
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

@Neal ; I tried register to your site, but I got server error.
Code:
talkGEEK Community - Error
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

Yes just seen that in the server error log. Bear with me whilst I take a look at it and thanks for letting me know.

I had to remove the ad from the header so the responsive design would work properly, but that was no big loss.
http://www.truckersforum.net/forum/

You don't need to as Google Adsense are now supporting responsive designs as well. (they must read the dev process of XF :D)

Quoting from heeeeeeeere:
True responsive design is typically defined by using CSS media queries, but similar behavior can be accomplished by using the code snippet below. Keep in mind that this example will adjust based on user screen sizes but won’t accommodate screen orientation changes.

<script type="text/javascript">
google_ad_client = "ca-publisher-id";
width = document.documentElement.clientWidth;
google_ad_slot = "1234567890";
google_ad_width = 320;
google_ad_height = 50;
if (width > 500) {
google_ad_slot = "3456789012";
google_ad_width = 468;
google_ad_height = 60;
}
if (width > 800) {
google_ad_slot = "2345678901";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
}

</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>

I am trying to decide how to go about testing my site out.

It'll be easier to migrate it live so i can have my members(20-30 of them) actively noticing stuff that may be wrong BUT...of course no/limited support if something does go wrong.

Le Sigh :P
This would mark my first major upgrade with XF :D

I'm just gonna put this here too, even though a mailer was sent out to a bit a go, since many of our customers read this forum. If you upgrade to beta, and your site breaks, I'm sorry but your on your own to fix it. We rolled back several customers yesterday from our hourly backups who upgraded production sites. Some how one of those sites database became corrupted in the process causing unstableness and down time for everyone on that server as the result.

Not going to upgrade my live site but I just tested my custom add-on and it is working absolutely fine. I was afraid I would have to get back to the developer with all the editor changes among others and shell out. :D

Extremely impressed! (y)

I have no more server erros atm. Last one was from bd widget at around 7pm. To prevent server errors I had to uninstall TMS :( and turn off the ability to like albums, videos, blogs and post rating since like functionality no longer works for those addons. I love the new responsive design and user banners tho.

Upgraded as soon as I downloaded. All has gone well (I did not have many add-ons, 4). Relatively smooth overall, and am loving it!

But, the same caveats apply. Maybe not the best course of action to upgrade right away. Have read of some folks having problems- which is why this is a beta release. Careful, folks!!!

Have a few minor things left to do on P8ntballer, and then we will be upgrading on our live site soon. Removed / fixed various addons. (When we go live with 1.2 Beta, will be down to 6 addons lol!)

Well, the upgrade on my heavily-modded site is as bumpy as you might expect with so many add-ons - even if I could remove a good quarter due to features n 1.2! It didn't help that I kept screwing up migrating my TMS style to a stock templates style and kept upgrading before I'd done it completely, so I had to revert. Either way, all but a couple of my add-ons are fine, and I'm sure XenPorta and the Widget Framework will get updated as soon as their respective authors can. Now I have some work to do repairing my largest add-on, which was never going to survive the update well :whistle:

Either way, though, the new features are fantastic. I look forward to playing with them in more depth!

Just finished updating my live site, remarkably painless process, only took about 3-4 hours of merging, updating and bug fixes.

Also trimmed a lot of fat with regard to addons, now down to just 26, of which approx half are 3rd party.

Biggest issue for me has been style bugs (especially with the responsive design), due to the fact I pretty much entirely disregarded style properties and went with custom css everywhere (not a wise choice in hindsight).

(An update for TaigaChat Pro and Post Ratings is still in the works, the versions on my site are not yet release-quality)

Last edited:
I'm trying to prepare by cutting add ons out I don't need, so then once the style I use is updated, I can update.

I also have to move my TMS stuff to the XF template modifications.

Would anyone by chance know how many outdated templates there are after 1.1.5? I'm considering updating to the beta, but would like to know what needs fixing style/template wise..

Well, I count 157 templates that have been modified for 1.2.

Based on my recollection of how many times I hit "merge templates" that seems about right! (Though I am not, I can try to think of myself as having some sort of "genius prodigy" (or maybe mild Aspergers) ability to count things others might miss....in actuality, 157 seems about right to generate the callous I have on my index finger...now, on that, I know- I have run many experiments regarding key stroke and skin pad depth/callouses.

Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about, I just posted the above for humor sake. (Unless I am right...in which case everyone should always take me seriously).

(Note, no finger callouses were harmed in the posting of the reply).

Well, I remove all addons provided externally, I intend on only modying xF myself from now on - unless it adds significant functionality that I am unable to achieve, ala gallery.

Top Bottom